Your Ad Could Be Here

hotlivebands.com

I got this e-mail today:

Hi there,

My name's Frank from Hot Live Bands.

We're putting together a compilation CD and

would like to talk to you about the possibility

of having 1 of your tracks featured on it.

Please get back to me at contact@hotlivebands.com

All the best,

Frank

HLB Entertainment

seems like there are thousands of people at soundclick getting the same.

I went by their site and it's "under construction"... beware!!

• 1 month later...

The usual business model is for people to pay a fee to cover the costs of compiling and manufacturing etcetera. You would also be expected to sign over the rights to enable them to do what they do. So it would be perfectly legitimate. Absolutely no need for it to be anything else. (And there are numerous provocative parallels with the way more acceptedly "legitimate" record companies actually operate, so you have to take your own chances everywhere.)

In exchange, you get the opportunity, the chance, if things work out as we would all like them to, to have your track put in front of a market you might never have otherwise have reached. That's if it works out. The people running it think there's room to turn a profit out of the process. It's the music business, after all. There are loads of bottom-feeders ready to exploit the army of wannabes. You just have to make your own assessment of risk and return. Like song contests. Same model.

It's what they plan to do with it after that counts.

Otherwise, under regular circumstances, the going rate for licensed tracks on a compilation is around 7 cents per track per CD.

A thousand CD's yields $70 in mechanicals.

Less than 5% of all CDs sell a thousand.

Edited by Lazz

• 1 month later...