Your Ad Could Be Here

Janz

• Noob

So i go to a folk club and get up play a few songs and i really love all that but the average age must be 70 years old. This is the problem where is the future for acoustic players of not only folk but all types of normally aspirated sound. Open mikes in pubs i can't see that as being a good grounding for new and existing kitchen table and beyond players and writers??

Well, I haven't played in a Folk Club for more than 40 years. At that time they were full of students who usually joined in and sang. They would all have a go at some ancient tune with a finger firmly fixed in one ear at add "-yah" at the end of every syllable because it sounded authentic.

What are the 70 year olds like? Any good? 

What was it that you were hoping it would be? If I were to ever do an open mic, I would see it as a way for me to actually get comfortable playing in front of an audience. Maybe to get a foot in the door to build a small audience so I would no longer have to play open mics and could front my own show. Considering I've never done it, I would also expect it to be a train wreck for me but a necessary one to get over the hump.

Edited by Just1L

A 70 year old may or may not have more compassion than a 20 year old.  Usually more as Folky types of that age were pre hippies, during the 60's It was all about peace, love and understanding.

They have something to share and so do you. I was befriended by a folk player who,,, had too many years away from the instrument but was kind enough to poor himself into playing so I could have a jam buddy.  He was rock solid. And by that I mean reliable. He supported what I did even when he didn't follow it. At that time I'd do 50~70's pop rock but what really drove me was fusion. Larry Carlton, Al Di Meola, Chic Corea and Steely Dan.  Whenever I'd ask him to lay down a rhythm guitar part I could throw all the chords in the world at him and he'd play it through.  Wasn't the most inventive rhythmically but sometimes you need someone solid behind you as opposed to flashy.  He also made it a point to introduce me around to jazz and bluegrass players in the area even though he wasn't a jazz or a bluegrass player himself.  It was from his jazz connections that I did get paying gigs doing trad (traditional) jazz something I've grown to appreciate more as time goes by.