Your Ad Could Be Here

Commercial spots?

Has anyone here ever been involved in writing 30second commercial spots/jingles?

I was contacted yesterday to possibly do one for a local computer store. If I decide to do it, it will be for radio only.

Not sure I can pull this off as I have never really thought about it before.

Any comments?

Tom

Has anyone here ever been involved in writing 30second commercial spots/jingles?

I was contacted yesterday to possibly do one for a local computer store. If I decide to do it, it will be for radio only.

Not sure I can pull this off as I have never really thought about it before.

Any comments?

Tom

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, if you want to prostitute your art for a large paycheck, that's up to you.

I'd say, go for it! The cheesier the better. All you have to do is lower your standards to rock bottom and it should be a winner.

Well, if you want to prostitute your art for a large paycheck, that's up to you.

I'd say, go for it! The cheesier the better. All you have to do is lower your standards to rock bottom and it should be a winner.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funny, that's pretty much how I look at it too. :-[

Ahem. Excuse me. I disagree. You have to design an effective problem-solution and keep the client happy so I think it's an art and craft in it's own right. OK so it's not high-art (what would be?) but it can be done well or poorly. Your choice. And simple is always good.

Tom - the one thing that strokes the client is hearing the product name or business identity sung lots. Lots. Gets 'em every time.

Ahem. Excuse me. I disagree. You have to design an effective problem-solution and keep the client happy so I think it's an art and craft in it's own right. OK so it's not high-art (what would be?) but it can be done well or poorly. Your choice. And simple is always good.

Tom - the one thing that strokes the client is hearing the product name or business identity sung lots. Lots. Gets 'em every time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

God, someone always has to raise the tone, don't they? And it's usually Lazz! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lazz,

It's only going to be a 30 second spot so I'm going to try and keep it simple.

30 seconds of basic music broken down like this;

10 seconds of me and possibly a female singing the name of the company

10 seconds of the owner saying their company's plan

10 seconds once again me and the female singing the name.

Plain and to the point.

I don't want to do cheesy music, so if that is a problem the deal is off.

What do you think?

Lazz,

It's only going to be a 30 second spot so I'm going to try and keep it simple.

30 seconds of basic music broken down like this;

10 seconds of me and possibly a female singing the name of the company

10 seconds of the owner saying their company's plan

10 seconds once again me and the female singing the name.

Plain and to the point.

I don't want to do cheesy music, so if that is a problem the deal is off.

What do you think?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've done some radio spots over the years.

If you're going to do a radio spot, you need to add some market person thinking to the music.

Who are they targeting? What do they offer? What can make the listeners go to their store instead of another store?

Usually I would say that the message in the commercial is #1 - without a good message that can be easily understood, a commercial is of no value. The marketing staff for the store should have some insight.

Then you need the stop-factor - that's nr. #2. Often noises (or plain silence) are good stop-factors - seldom a male and female singing the name of the store.

A good voiceover is #3 - either manly and booming or female and sexy (considering this is a computer store targeting men, I would guess a sexy female voice wouldn't hurt).

Often you don't need music at all - often a good voiceover speaking the message can be just as effective - sometimes using already known music is more effective, sometimes extremely bad played music is used for the stop factor. Remember: you are not making art, you're selling computers.

Don't fall into the art trap before you've made sure you can do the job. This is mainly a craft - which makes it no less difficult or worth doing. Doing it can actually teach you a lot about the art.

I agree with Lazz and Finn. This is an oppertunity to see how good you are at selling something. Maybe with your talent as a musician. I would suggest you get as much information as you can from the sponsor.

Who are they targeting?

What are they selling? (Is it just computers?)

Do they want sexy? Manly? Techy? Nerdy?

Will they supply any of the material? (Voiceover)

Do they want a specific feel? i.e. Laid back? Up Front? Sinister? Techno? Groovy? Powerful?

Ask as many questions as you can think of before you even start on this. Listen to some other ads and assess them. Something we don't generaly do when we hear ads, but there is a definate science to all this.