Your Ad Could Be Here

Time To Switch To Twitter

john

Hi Gang

Facebook has been becoming less and less useful to musicians. Individual accounts have a friend limit. Pages, such as musician pages or business pages have become a complete pain in the ass. 3 years ago if a post was made on the Songstuff page, it would be seen by a minimum of 1000 people. Now, a post is shown to 20 people, and depending how they respond it will be shown to some more. Of course if the 20 it is shown to happen to be busy and don’t interact with the post (like, comment or share) you=our post goes nowhere. I run 3 other Facebook pages and know many other page owners, so believe me when I tell you this is a common issue.

The reason is because Facebook want pages to pay them for advertising. All the years pages spent building followers was in effect a complete waste of time.

Twitter doesn’t distinguish between users in this way. Yes businesses can advertise... but they don’t limit their users experience in the way Facebook does.

Twitter user lists can extend to millions. For top artists, that can be 100 million.

Not that I am suggesting anyone here can reach that, though I believe anything is possible. But it is a social network that allows you to grow your list to as many as you can get.

I will be starting a topic about Songstuffers working together, and the group benefits to be had. It will be a general topic.

However, I strongly believe that together we can make a good dent in Twitter.

Please follow @Songstuff and @john_moxey. If you can make a post mentioning these two accounts I will follow you back.

Please then take part in following other people who make similar posts. Look back through the Songstuff time line and follow people making similar posts too. If you follow another Songstuffers, use the tag #SongstuffMusic. That way people get the connection.

I suggest the same on YouTube, Google+ and Facebook. Together we are stronger.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I personally can't stand twitter I find it very over-saturated. It can be very spammy at times and it's easy for your post to get lost in the thousands of others posting about their music. It does have it's uses though. I look at it as more of a way of maintaining and engaging with the audience you already have over bringing in new people

32 minutes ago, GuesSs said:

I personally can't stand twitter I find it very over-saturated. It can be very spammy at times and it's easy for your post to get lost in the thousands of others posting about their music. It does have it's uses though. I look at it as more of a way of maintaining and engaging with the audience you already have over bringing in new people

I found it greatly depends on how you grow your list in the first place. Never use any of those follower exchanges. Nightmare. The quality of followers is about as low a grade as they can be. Often users of such systems are very spammy. I had a look in order to evaluate a number of tools.

If instead you have a decent targeting strategy the result is more collaborative and supportive. You can easily target fans that are likely to like what you do.

Using it without strategy causes low quality, poor matches to prevail

• Thanks 1

Fire away. My default is that whatever I post is up for discussion, it is after all just my opinion. It is rare for me to say something is not up for discussion. Normally a rule I feel fundamental, but regarding songwriting or anything else, even if I was teaching it, I would at least try talking  over the subject.  I guess if it was being destructive to the learning process as I saw it, I might say something... but yet again, it is just my opinion. People listen or don't.

I just know I had a point to make relating to the universe as I saw it. Said what I had to say, food for thought for others. That's about it lol 

:)

• Thanks 1

On 12/26/2017 at 2:53 PM, Patchez said:

Yes, that does make allot of sense! And, OK, --on the, above that! 

For me, now last week of the year, --I may get back to this great topic in January. 

===========================
 -- While framing and explaining is always a part in any discussion, (answering then clarifying questions), style of communicating in a *,global forum (deductive, inductive, --"cultures" issues too) being part of it, --if one can assume they're throwing out an "idea" to an interested bunch of "associates" (friends?), and not contrarians seeking any topic they can find to troll and argue for the sake of it, they then use too as you say, --"train, workshop or blog" it!, ;) , in a negative way, so to speak and incorrectly, if not that,
    -- will make for initial shorter posts and likely *more of them. (Diversity of deductive thought contributions) 

I actually only have time for maybe one online site/community at a time, -- when would I have time to "do music". I'm amazed at the ~online life only lives~, of many folks, -- I don't have that kind of time and not interested in having it. I love "people" to much for that kind of isolation, --this is a means to and end only for me, -- music to perform IRL.

As I move to different projects I seek to have a different audience of folks then see iterations. (I never mix groups, --faux pas) But, I can't have mom telling me how great I am all day long ;) . By this place being (if) a safe serious artist space, it makes it very useful for that --use ("value"). Every community has it's unique value and if different from others, even better. This looks like such a place. 

-- When I get back to this topic, above, --yours, - my then simplistic, even "stupid" to some, ideas, will only be intended to facilitate what I read the folks running the place want to do, right or wrong. As always, "skip it" if entirely non-relate-able. So what? (I say generally speaking and non-specifically directed.) Focus groups have a cost, --this one is "our own" here and free, if not paying back for what's taken, or had been for many years, daily. 

yeah well, that's easy for you to say