Your Ad Could Be Here

Music Festivals

john

Hey gang

Do you go to music festivals? Last year I was at the TRNSMT festival in Glasgow to see Radiohead. It was the first festival in a while. I used to love going to festivals. Accessibility is a major issue for me now. I still love going but festivals are just not designed for people with mobility issues.... at least in the U.K. that is finally on the map for discussion.

I digress lol any plans for festivals in 2018? I had wanted to go to the next Glastonbury festival, but I doubt I will be able to afford it. Maybe a few smaller festivals will be good. Some of the alternative and free festivals can be good.

For me there is something special about a festival. I love gigs full stop, but maybe the whole mass party atmosphere and camping coupled with the journey and a host of bands is just... special. Unless it rains lol then they all become a sweaty mud fest. :)

I have wondered why it is that we don’t have stadium music festivals here. We have stadium gigs.. but they tend to be just normal gigs, in a stadium.

Anyhoo. Festivals. Love em. Hate em. Play em. Have at it. :)

Cheers

John

Playing festival IS fun. Daunting, because you tend to be playing to a larger audience. It even feels weird. There’s normally wind blowing sunshine or rain, or moody clouds (I live in Scotland so rain and clouds is an evens bet :) ) and then there’s the sound... no reverberation. It’s like Uber-busking! Lol

58 minutes ago, ustaknow said:

Long time ago, and were fun.

Today ... would love to, if like it was back then... that's not gonna happen :) ...

I don't get what changed,  but don't remember the expense or people being "in the way" versus being a great (very enjoyable) part of it. But hey, apparently many feel quite good about them and don't find it a huge expense I guess :) 

-- Yes, I imagine mobility issue are not well considered... kinda sad really. That might change the feel of the rest of it for the better if it were! 

Undoubtedly some festivals are are better than others. The prices aren’t all extortionate. Free festivals tend to have much smaller acts, but they are closer to the festivals of my youth.

lets face it, some gigs are just extortionate. Take Roger Waters current tour with tickets to my local venue starting at £96. There are much worse.

I would love to go to a music festival they seem like an immense amount of fun. Sadly all the ones I'd want to attend are too far away and I can't afford the travel expenses, but I def plan to go at some point in my life time and see as many performances as possible

• 4 weeks later...

How do you fancy this?

The whole thing started last summer as a throw-away comment on a discussion on a Facebook group for Donington veterans (both Monsters Of Rock & Download), when in the throes of reminiscing about MoRs gone by, someone said "Why don't we organize one ourselves?". A couple of inspired people took up the idea, for a one-day, one stage rock festival in the East Midlands, just like the legendary Monsters Of Rock gigs in the 80s/90s.

A successful pledge campaign was launched (I bunged £20 in) and lo & behold, the Stonedeaf Festival was born. It is being organised by rock fans, for rock fans, in the style of the old festivals by a 9 man (& women) committee. The ethos is simple: there's no corporate organisation needing to make a profit, so prices are being kept low - £50 for the whole day, plus only another £10 if you want to camp on site (Friday to Sunday). Food and drink prices are also being kept to reasonable levels, and things like shuttle buses between the train station & site are planned.

headliner-1-500x672.png
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Steve said:

How do you fancy this?

The whole thing started last summer as a throw-away comment on a discussion on a Facebook group for Donington veterans (both Monsters Of Rock & Download), when in the throes of reminiscing about MoRs gone by, someone said "Why don't we organize one ourselves?". A couple of inspired people took up the idea, for a one-day, one stage rock festival in the East Midlands, just like the legendary Monsters Of Rock gigs in the 80s/90s.

A successful pledge campaign was launched (I bunged £20 in) and lo & behold, the Stonedeaf Festival was born. It is being organised by rock fans, for rock fans, in the style of the old festivals by a 9 man (& women) committee. The ethos is simple: there's no corporate organisation needing to make a profit, so prices are being kept low - £50 for the whole day, plus only another £10 if you want to camp on site (Friday to Sunday). Food and drink prices are also being kept to reasonable levels, and things like shuttle buses between the train station & site are planned.

That is the ideal way to host an event. By enthusiasts, for like minded fans. No body exploited, and everyone provided for. [smiley=acoustic.gif]

Pity about the heavy-noisy-racket choice of music though. Like Steve, I would have paid £20 to keep it away from my house too. :hammer: