Your Ad Could Be Here

guitar voice selection

When playing a couple of practices to end the year's hiatus for Blown Out, we played in a hall that was like a big empty barn. The sound bounced and the acoustics were dreadful. I was using my ES-339 semi-hollowbody and it coped pretty well. More than that, it's voice sounded warm and it had expression.

In the 2.5 years I've had it, its risen in my estimation constantly. Thats more than any guitar I've ever used. But when we gigged in November, it sounded nasty. I dont know why. The acoustics of the hall were good, we had a spacious stage where I could set the amp up exactly as I wished. The whole band sounded good except for me. I sounded rough; and when that happens, it limits my playing. It had never sounded that bad.

I had planned to use it again at the final gig of the year (Winchester Fire Station) but the previous experience had put me off. I had to use something else. So I took the Ric 650 and it sounded great. The weird thing is that once again the acoustics were stark & dire (like the practices).

This is an extreme example, but its what happens to m now. Various guitars rise & fall in my confidence (and ability) in them.

Some players say "I sound like me no matter what I use..". I have never been able to do that. If an alternating pick style sounds bad one night, I change to hammer-on & pull-off. Thats an exaggeration too, but its still essentially true.

• 3 months later...

I found a wonderful used Godin Kingpin in Exeter. I was tempted to buy it, but passed.

I am enjoying the 339 again and will give it the opportunity to redeem itself before long.

Archived