Your Ad Could Be Here

The Imppossible Tempo

This is just one of those things that you can't think about for too long. 3 BPM. The "Impossible Tempo".  I consider tempos which are mathematically impossible "De-Tempos". "Okay, so what, I could easily play any song at 3 BPM, so what's the big deal?", you are probably thinking. Well, explain this: 1 (minute)/3 (Beats)=  33.3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 seconds between each note, considering that you are playing quarter notes in 4/4 time. Just try playing 3 quarter notes in 4/4 time at 3 beats per minute, in time.

3 beats per minute is beyond my range of tempos unless someone is just trying to be cute and using 1/64th notes throughout (I would just count differently to make it work).

I agree with Joel about using click tracks. I am NOT a fan. I do use a metronome sometimes for practice, though (it keeps me honest and helps me iron out little transition issues).

One of the things I enjoyed about gigging and studio work with an entire band was the "human" feel you are referring to, Joel. If everyone is on the same page, it can be magic. And sometimes little rhythmic 'mistakes' can create a golden take in studio if everyone else adjusts to the 'error' - if I can find the recording (it's on tape) I will post one such episode where a blown ending turned into an awesome ending. Now, of course, this was with a bunch of us who had played together for 2-3 years and only happened to this degree once where it turned out so well but you get my point.

• 2 months later...

I had a flatmate who played fiddle and he said he liked jamming with me on guitar, because I could keep steady time, which I put down to having played with drum machines a lot, so I'd say practise with clicks. But I'm wary of them in recording, because I read once that the heart tries to match a beat when listening. So when a band gets excited and speeds up, that is communicated to the listener's heartbeat, whereas click tracks bland all that out.

However, doing mashups, it is easier if they've recorded to a click. I had to cut some Stevie Wonder bars up into tiny pieces to get his drumming to match up and that was with time stretching. Definitely not the best drummer in the Beatles.

Archived