Your Ad Could Be Here

How do you start writing?

What is music? For me it's all to do with the chords. Chord structure is what it's all about to me.

I play around with chords on the keyboard or guitar- create a structure I like then place a melody on top.

Sometimes (though very rarely) I'll get a melody in my head & write a chord structure around it.

How do you lovely people go about it? Just out of interest😉

Peace.

DC...

Rhythm is the catalyst. It may come first or later, but it has to have a groove for anything to work.

Other aspects of time are also of paramount importance, such as phrasing. These time elements are the most elusive to me so I place great importance on them.

I can begin with lyrics. I can begin with music. The best stuff always comes quickly. If it drags on too long, I have to make choices and dont like that. Hard long work on music is too contrived.

• Editors

I go with where the muse takes me. Sometimes it starts with a chord progression, sometimes the melody, sometimes the words and the others, a groove. I try to build on whatever of the idea is already there. Sometimes when I feel the words are not sitting right (and I want the words to flow in that certain way), I go back to the groove. Sometimes I find the tension being built in a section doesn't align with the intensity of the tension in the words, I go back to the chord progression then. And so on. If my process doesn't seem to be working, I keep my mind open to divert it to another aspect of the song. Above all of this mostly sub-conscious procedure sits proudly the the idea of cohesiveness to perfectly describe the emotion I'm trying to express.

Archived