Your Ad Could Be Here

Growth, Critique and the Real World

While I respect his motives, I prefer people to be forthright towards me.

All posters here have critique set 'to give it to me both barrels' (except Glamerocity -any & all).

I don't have that as part of my preferences as a egocentric statement. I have the belly for it and I mean it. I don't want any pussyfooting around when it comes to my stuff.

1 hour ago, Rudi said:

All posters here have critique set 'to give it to me both barrels' (except Glamerocity -any & all).

That was easy for me, because I didn't expect to get much critiquing. I only do mashups now and I didn't expect to be posting those much. I'm as sensitive as the next person and as obstinate at times.

I had a flatmate who was a writing drummer, did a lot of programming but was feeling his way around a keyboard, because he didn't have any musical knowledge, as good a session drummer as he was. So he'd come up with all these chord inversions he'd found by trial and error that even jazzers would've exhaled at. I'd often sit in his room for the first spliff of the day and he'd be working on something, for which I'd offer up a simplified suggestion to take or leave. Maybe just a C major there instead of that convoluted mid-verse key change that's only going to hurt any singer he eventually got in to try to set a melody to this backing production he'd spent weeks on. And he always hum and haw, then choose leave. He could not let anybody change one chord for fear they'd claim a writing credit.

I got used to people rejecting suggestions as a studio engineer. I produced an album for some friends of mine and on one song the writer had spent some time arranging individual orchestral parts, violin, cello, flute etc. And being synth sounds, they took up a wide EQ spread, when the band had a great organic sound as it was. I thought it didn't work and the song swung nicely without them but he was adamant. I did a mix without them but they put the string version on the album. I still cringe at it. He even wanted a section where everything except the orchestral parts dropped out. Argghhhhh.

So I've been very impressed at the willingness of people here to listen and accept suggestions.

don't get it twisted, I still get angry and upset if I feel strongly about something and you don't agree with it or act like it's not a big deal, what guy doesn't right? lol :lol:

but in the end is it any reason to lose sleep over? Not if it doesn't effect your own well being, and the only person that controls that is *say it with me guys* yourself.. 

If you're comfortable and secure in your approach to anything then it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks does it?

On 5/14/2018 at 2:33 PM, Roymega said:

don't get it twisted, I still get angry and upset if I feel strongly about something and you don't agree with it or act like it's not a big deal, what guy doesn't right? lol :lol:

I care a great deal what others think. But if they are dismissive of my stuff, I never get upset or emotional in any way. I still want an honest response. In fact I would prefer someone to hate my music than be insincere or indifferent to it.

7 minutes ago, Rudi said:

I care a great deal what others think. But if they are dismissive of my stuff, I never get upset or emotional in any way. I still want an honest response. In fact I would prefer someone to hate my music than be insincere or indifferent to it.

Not everyone is quite as secure with their artistry as you my friend. 

P.S.:  No, don't wait to watch that video.

I agree that we should remember that – maybe – we are trying to create a commercial product that a dis-interested buyer might voluntarily 🤑 choose to buy.  The only difference between that buyer and our colleagues is that "that buyer" won't give us feedback.  S/He will be the fish that we never even knew was in the water, while we impatiently swatted mosquitos on-shore.

However, we also should remember that it's a very brutal proposition to even consider putting "your creative work, and thereby, yourself," into this line-of-fire in the first place ... and then, to dare to keep it there.  Every human being's natural first instinct is self-preservation, but how many wonderful songs would never have happened "if?"

20 hours ago, Roymega said:

That mash up is dope, dunno why you'd take it down cuz of a few thumbs down.. just take ppls suggestions and rework, improve, make it better, then re-upload it

Thanks for the compliment. I'd deleted all the files by the time I made it unlisted. The comment somebody left said it was too much Britney and I should've used other vocals. Maybe they didn't listen for long enough, because the Doobies vocal comes in later, so I'd try to work that in earlier if I'd reworked it. Lesson learned, though: don't delete the files until I get a few thumbs. 👍

Archived