Your Ad Could Be Here

Technology and Music

• Noob

I have a background in technology and a passion for music. 

Just saw the time changing and how technology has entered our world, and not just restricting to a few domains but also music.

For tuning your guitar we have an app (guitartuna ), for recording our singing (smule) and we have this website https://guitaa.com that lets you know chords of any song.

This has truly led to democratization of creative resources to everyone. Well, there are evil side of it, but at the end, if we will focus on just creative stuff then we can truly express yourself and bring out something crude, which people will appreciate. 

what are your views on this?

The way I look at it is this:  "While McDonald's® will never run out of customers who fill their now-two-lane drive thru, I will never, ever [again ...] eat there." 

Yes, you can now buy "A Band in a Box®" – and it is actually a very good piece of software –but if you're lured into thinking that "this is what music is," your powers of imagination need serious expansion.  😁

"Think outside the matchbox!"

Fact is, "today, we live amongst an embarrassment of technological riches," doing marvelous things with our phones that could not have been obtained for $20,000 – or, at any price – twenty-or-less years ago.  ("I was there ...")

• Yes, professional musicians in those days did pay that kind of money.  The "Fairlight CMI" cost anywhere between £18,000 and £60,000 in 1982.  It competed with the "Synclavier," which cost even more.  ("A Synclavier could cost anywhere from $25,000 to $200,000 ...")  Thumbing through our pages of Keyboard Magazine, we all lusted after them, and dreamed.  Little did we know ...

But ... we are also "still doing things that would have been very familiar to Mozart."  We're still creating music, and we're still doing it "out of thin air."  We're still creating pure magic.  And this wonderful magic is still very much the product of human minds.  (Even when those "human minds" are busy creating innovative computer software, such as "Band in a Box!"  Which is a thing that human minds could never do until very recently, even though composers and musicians have been dreaming of it for many centuries.)

"May you live in interesting times."  Well, here we are!

Archived