Your Ad Could Be Here

What do you think is the future of independent music?

• Editors

Based on the way how the independent music is thriving in your city or country, do you think there's a new wave coming?

I know there are few big time Grammy artists like Chance the Rapper and Jacob Collier who are continuing to go the indie way and that a lot of UK artists like Jordan Rakei and Tom Misch are on the rise. Even here in India, things are slowly picking up (but we are way to early in here in my opinion and you never know how things could go until we are able to have an audience big enough to cater for the independent music 'industry' here). What do you think?

I'm excited by the breadth and variety of music that is actually out there.  Also, I'm finding that internet radio, and venerable sites like macjams.com, are where I wind up with most of the music that actually powers me through the day.  Most of the artists are folks I've never heard of.

What I'm waiting for is the return of the classic "dee-jay" – the curator of his collection who could pick and play whatever he wanted.  You tuned in late at night not just to listen to music, but to listen to "Wolfman Jack."

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's going the roboto way and programmed music will prevale. It's getting really easy to produce music and almost everyone can do it. You actually don't have to know how to play an instrument. But not to be so pessimistic, I will add that there probably will always be some audiance for the hard workers and talented people, who really deserve credit :)

• 9 months later...

Archived