Your Ad Could Be Here

Back to music after 30 years!

Disconnectica

Hi folks,

Thought I'd introduce myself!  My name's Robert Webb.  I used to make music about 30 years ago in high school and early uni.  We had two synths (Ensoniq ESQ-1 and Roland D50) and a hardware sequencer (MC500 mk2).  I recorded lots of MIDI music back then, including one long 23 minute piece (I was a big fan of Mike Oldfield!).  Since then I've never again really been set up to do this, until now.  Now I'm using Reaper and am set up for production again.

I still have most of my old MIDI data.  I want to modernise my old recordings (better instruments, better production), finish unfinished pieces, record stuff I've only had in my head for those 30 years but never recorded or wrote down, and make new stuff.

I got back into it about 4 months ago, and just recently uploaded my first 3 tracks to SoundCloud.  Two of them even have vocals, the first time I've ever tried recording myself sing!  I can't really sing, but with enough production I think it turned out OK 🙂

I will post tracks in the critique forum when the site lets me (have to make 10 posts first?), but for now here are the three, so any initial feedback would be great (is that even allowed here?).

This one's entirely new.  Creepy with a "serial killer vibe" apparently.

This one's based on an idea I've had in my head for more than 25 years and never wrote down:

And this one I wrote as a piano solo (mostly) 30 years ago but just recently added drums and upright bass:

Edited by Robert Webb
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forums! Haha I gotta kick outta that Treat song... You might be able to find work as a cookie monster voice over 😉 I kid, I kid  😄 Technically you shouldn't be asking for critiques in your introduction, but you didn't know any better.. Check out the Musician's Lounge and see if any topics catch your eye to help get that post count up! 

1 hour ago, Roymega said:

Welcome to the forums! Haha I gotta kick outta that Treat song... You might be able to find work as a cookie monster voice over 😉 I kid, I kid  😄 Technically you shouldn't be asking for critiques in your introduction, but you didn't know any better.. Check out the Musician's Lounge and see if any topics catch your eye to help get that post count up! 

Thanks Roymega.  You're the second person to mention the Cookie Monster!  Maybe I should change it to "Gonna have myself a cookie", but I prefer the ambiguity ;)

Actually I think I'm up to 10 posts now.  Mostly been replying in the critique forum.

2 minutes ago, Robert Webb said:

Thanks Roymega.  You're the second person to mention the Cookie Monster!  Maybe I should change it to "Gonna have myself a cookie", but I prefer the ambiguity ;)

Actually I think I'm up to 10 posts now.  Mostly been replying in the critique forum.

Awesome! You'll find you learn a lot about yourself when critiquing others!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Roymega said:

Awesome! You'll find you learn a lot about yourself when critiquing others!

So I've read (here), so I'll see how that goes.  Lots of tracks I listen to I just can't think of anything to say about.  It's not my style of music or I just don't know enough about that style to have any real opinions about what they've done.  But I've found a few to comment on.

I have posted my first track for critique now too, so anyone reading this, please go critique me there rather than here: