Your Ad Could Be Here

should I publish my music before I have rights to it ?

like the title says im wondering is it safe to publish my music before the copyright process is complete. I found out that it could take 5 months for the rights to be processed :( My thoughts were that Id start the copyright process and wait 1 or 2 months then go ahead and publish my music on iTunes , spotify etc. and that way If someone tried to get the rights to my music I would be ahead of them in line by at least a month. how does this sound? and does that make any sense to do that lol ? Thanks all 

I only say if in US because of a worldly community.

And really, with effort and $'s you can prove copyright without filing..but not how I would do things. I like actually  filing and think the fees are nominal.

• Noob
On 3/30/2019 at 4:59 AM, Peggy said:

If you are in US and you've legitimately filed copyrights for creative works, you are covered.

As soon as you put the lyric to paper , It's  basically your Copyright.    Most Publishers would prefer you

don't even copyright the Complete song,    They say it can get messy that way  if they agree to

Publish your song

I dont know about the Five months to copyright  because , its not their  job to

see or hear that you may have plagiarized some one else's  work       They just store your tape or CD 

and note the date you sent it to them 

i would not worry about some one stealing your work  because the probability is that your  work is not to

a Professional Standard  at this time .      It may be close ,    and if your song  or songs are on Spotify or You Tube 

That in itself is a safe guard  but of course its not a guarantee  that you yourself have plagiarized  some one

else's  work                       In fact there have been many cases where   established writers like  George  Harrison

Edd Shearen  and  David and Jonathan  were successfully  sued   for plagiarizing  Established  Hit songs

That in itself  tells you that they dont screen  songs at The Copyright Office         There fore it proves that  Putting

your song on Spotify and  I tunes   plus  YOU TUBE   is the best way to  secure your Copyright  and you may get some

money for your work that  would never have seen the light of day in an Old World Copyright Office or a dust filled shelf in a Publishers Office