Your Ad Could Be Here

Behringer's synth remakes

As some of you may know, I'm a hardware synth guy. I just love the tactile feedback of plugging a synth in, twisting some knobs, and banging some keys. I also work in retail which means my purchases must be planned out and stick to a budget. I purchased Behringer's Deepmind 12 (essentially a modern update of the Juno 106) and I'm loving it so much. I've been eying there Model D (their remake of the MiniMoog) and will hold off pulling the plug on it until they release the Pro-1 (their version of Sequential Circuits Pro-One). I'd like to own a powerful mono-synth, I just wanna make sure I buy the one that fits me the best. 

Now, Behringer's remakes didn't hit the market without controversy. For every person that's excited they can own a great analog synth at an affordable price, there are those that see Behringer's remakes as cheap knock-offs at best and straight up theft at worst. 

We are talking synthesizers that have all aged past their patents. In my opinion, I'm happy that the big name synth companies are recieving some stiff competition on the budget end. It gives me hope that some of them will innovate and create bigger and better high end options that I can graduate into. 

I mean, I would love to own something by Moog or Sequential. However, Sequential's Pro 2 fetches a price of $1999, and Moog's Subsequent 37 fetches $1499. Hell, Moog's most inexpensive options are the Minitaur/ Sirin  (they're essentially the same synth) which are $499/$599 for a monophonic, 2 oscillator/ 2 waveform desktop synth.

I'm sure these synths are worth it. And I know Moog is employee owned, so you're putting food directly on the worker's table. That's a feel good vibe right there for the price. 🤗

But... Behringer is pumping out the D and One for $329 and $299 respectively. That's a feel good vibe on my wallet and more food on MY table. 😛 

Kinda curious what you guys think of all of this? 

Archived