Your Ad Could Be Here

Programming percussion - options? Pros and cons?

Hi everyone. First post and main reason for signing up I guess. I don't record anything I do - I simply write songs to sing on my acoustic. Recording seems such a palaver. I would like to start recording but only if I can sort out how to start putting together drum tracks - I have an old Roland BR-600 digital recorder/drum machine/effects unit that I never really got to grips with - too complex unless you are using it all the time in which case maybe I'd remember what to do each time instead of having to watch a DVD or real the manual. The drums tracks I have made don't sound that great to me - you just piece together existing patterns - it's still basic for all its complexity. What are the options - I don't want to spent a lot TBH but I don't mind spending something. I don't have a soundcard atm for recording on to  PC - only the BR-600 which is incredibly sensitive when I have used it for recording through it's own on-board stereo mics - it's probably worth trying to master it - we've just never got on with each other! Or maybe I'd be better off going down another route - is there some great drumming software out there I can a)afford b)program easily c)produce good quality sounds but then I'm thinking what will I do with the drum track - will I then have to get an external soundcard for my laptop and use a DAW (ugh - sounds expensive and complicated) or will I just try and mix the guitar audio recording I make on the BR-600 in some PC software - every time I think about this it just sounds horribly complicated and tedious - what's the simplest way to do it? A friend of mine has something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E6T50LY/?coliid=I1FGAWYMW2UU0O&colid=2ADEOA5KLW2U&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it but he also uses every piece of music software you've ever heard of. I'm hoping I can find a really simple straightforward way to record - I just don't know enough about a lot of things ATM!

Archived