Your Ad Could Be Here

Techno music

• 6 months later...

It's quite imaginative.  Just when you think you know what it's going to be, you have that "several seconds slider" and then go off in a new direction which still feels related to what we've already heard.

One general comment I'd make is that so far the mix really doesn't include deep bass.  You've got a lot of high-range, a certain amount of mid-range tending toward high, and some "bass-like thumps" that to my ear really don't get into bass.  What comes to my mind is the long full-measure progressions that you often hear from the double-basses in an orchestra.  It becomes a sort of sweep that moves the song along without getting in the way.  I think the addition of such a track would be an interesting improvement.  You could even put two-note chords down there.  When you look at the song on a frequency-display, I think you really want to see action taking place in all three ranges.  Even in "techno."

Part of my general disagreement with "Techno" is that too much of it really is formulaic ... please remember that I was there in the 1980's when the Drum Machine (and MIDI) were first being invented.  I really don't like to encounter "musical tropes."  Yes, we've all watched YouTube videos where composers literally "write a 'song' in one hour." 

All I can say is that there's a very, very long distance between a McDonald's hamburger and a carefully-cooked steak accompanied by a very good bottle of wine ... and guess which one of the two I'm gonna pay my money for.

Archived