Your Ad Could Be Here

Locating Handbook of Instrumentation

Good morning or afternoon,

After reading the preface of "Principles of Orchestration" by Rimsky-Korsakov, I noticed a mentioning of a book by Gaevert, called "Traité général d'instrumentation". Since then I have been searching for this book in English to no avail. After realising that this book was translated by Tchaikovsky, I tried to locate a Russian copy (Handbook of Instrumentation or Руководство к инструментовке), as I have more understanding of Russian than French. This was also unsuccessful but found that a possible English parallel Russian translation might exist in what is called the New Complete Edition, detailing almost all of Tchaikovsky's scores, literature work, and translations (including my desired book). However, the New Complete Edition is said to be rare, and it appears that is correct!

I am hoping that some of you may know where I can find this book, preferably in English, but if not, then in Russian?

If I cannot locate this book in any form outside of French, I will resort to either learning French or give up entirely.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Lydia

I found this by Tchaikovsky – is this related?

GUIDE TO THE PRACTICAL STUDY OF HARMONY

(Руководство к практическому изучению гармонии)

Translated from the German version of P. Juon by Emil Krall and James Liebling

Reprinted from the edition published: Leipzig: P. Jurgenson, 1900

Archived