Your Ad Could Be Here

Long intro but would mean the world if you give it a read<3

Jaytwicemusic

• Noob

Hey guys,

My name is Jesse(Jaytwice) and I'm a 20 year old aspiring recording artist from Virginia. I was introduced to music via my parents as most of us are. My dad listened to a lot of The Temptations, Rick James, James Brown, Prince and my personal favorite Michael Jackson. My mom on the other hand listened to a lot of classic rock like Queen or Janis Joplin, she was also really into John Mayer. That's just to name a few. I feel like it was a good mixture to grow up on. I still remember the first time I saw Michael Jackson, It was way back when I was around 6,7, or 8 I would say. My family had gotten our first computer from a family friend, everybody in the family would take turns using it but at the time I was too young to be on a computer by myself so my older sister would assist me. And by assist me I mean she would basically get a second turn on the computer and I would just watch lol. Anywho, One day when it was my "turn" my sister said something about how a song was stuck in her head and she wanted to listen to it. We hopped on youtube and she pulled up a fan upload(good old youtube days) of the music Video to Beat it by MJ. Instantly I was obsessed, I basically learned how to navigate youtube because of my thirst to find Michael Jackson videos. I  would dress up like him and mirror his moves, I learned how to moonwalk and I was even him for Halloween one year. Recently My dad told me that it was his best Halloween memory because he loved that people were impressed by my costume but even more impressed that I knew the moves. But lets fast forward a little because this introduction is becoming long winded. As my older brothers grew up they developed their own tastes in music and it rubbed off on me. My eldest brother got into Grunge and heavy metal, while my other brother started listening to people like Eminem, Lil Wayne, and young jeezy. At this time I had outgrown my Michael Jackson obsession and I was really into Chris brown Because him being so young and from the same area as me made music seem so attainable. I had even started attempting to write my own R&B songs and I hadn't went through puberty yet so it was really easy for me to sing, especially other peoples music. But after my voice started changing I could no longer sing and I had lost hope. I started playing football and completely left the music dream behind me. Around 7th or 8th grade I started hanging with an older crowd, we would smoke cigarettes and get in to all types of trouble. Most importantly though, we would freestyle ALL THE TIME, at first I was just reciting lyrics that I heard my brother listening to so I could fit in but then I actually got into it and realized I was good at it. I still remember one time I had finished rapping for an older cat named JD and all he said was "Is your mom home?" I said "why" and he replied "' 'cause I'm boutta go tell her she needs to get you in the booth." But I chose to stick to sports, I was becoming pretty good at football and and had dreams of going pro. Then freshman year comes and I'm on the football team, I had shown out in preseason work outs and practice and started to become one of the coaches favorites but right before the season started he got offered a job for a school in another county. The new coach didn't like me that much, he changed me from a running back to a receiver and it completely took my head out of it( we ended up only winning our last 2 games of the season because the old coach came back to help us). I felt the need to add this part of my story because in a weird way I feel like it was   a higher power telling me I was on the wrong path. Coincidentally on my first day of freshman year at lunch I didn't recognize anybody in the cafeteria besides the team but I never felt like I belonged with them so I decided to eat outside. When I got out there I saw a familiar face and he was waving at me to come sit with him, his name was Tonio. I recognized him because he had transferred to my middle school halfway through 8th grade year but him and I had never had a real conversation. We started choppin it up and I found out he had been posting music on youtube for a couple years. He showed me some songs and admittedly they weren't the greatest but it blew my mind because nobody I knew had actually started uploading music themselves. He told me he heard from a mutual friend that I Used to rap and then he reached in his bag and pulled out a tiny usb mic and said "I was planning on giving this to someone else but I feel like you can do something with it" throughout freshman and sophomore year Tonio and I collaborated on a few tracks(my verses were soooo bad, his still hold up though. You can probably still find them on youtube.) We did a remix to "No flex Zone" By Rae Sremmurd and it got 2k views, it ended up getting us into some "rap beef" with some people that just wanted attention. I dropped a mixtape my junior year, I was setting my alarm for 3 am and recording in bathroom until it was time for school everyday until the tape was finished, Tonio mixed it for me. It was weird because even when I was recording the songs I knew I didn't like them but I still went through with it. Some of my peers told me they liked it but I could tell they were just trying to be supportive, I knew it was wack. It put me in a doubtful headspace and I didn't drop any music for the rest of my highschool career. Tonio was still going strong though and kept my name alive while new "rappers" were sprouting up everyday at my school. I had a relationship throughout highschool that I would consider my first love but it ended a little after she went to college because I never intended on going to college and I was still in the doubtful headspace. Therefore, I still  wasn't dropping music. My future seemed bleak, her perspective was understandable. For a while I gave into the broken heart cliche and was constantly out partying and acting a fool, in the meantime my songwriting had evolved so much because the feeling of being heartbroken was so new to me it gave me a lot of inspiration. I spent the past couple years perfecting my craft and building connections, I had some minor complications along the way. Oh! I almost forgot to mention I had an intense LSD trip that changed my whole perspective on life(I won't get into too much details about it because I'm not one to promote drugs to people who aren't interested , if you'd like to know more you can just hit me up) since then  things have been getting better and better, I'm finally in the position where I'm recording professionally on a pretty regular basis and have even been doing performances, Tonio and I are still tight and we still make music together, we added someone else to the mix that is basically our brother, he goes by Kiiing. I know this introduction is crazy long but I've never gotten to express my whole music journey from the start to present day, and once I had started typing it was like I couldn't stop haha. I can't wait to share the new music I've been working on with you guys and now that you understand my story hopefully it will make the music and the lyrics more meaningful. Bless up -Jay

• Like 1

Hi @Jaytwicemusic!

Welcome to Songstuff!

Yeah, it is indeed a long intro, but if it made you feel better and more motivated to share it, it is cool! I would be interested to listen to your rap, and see if you keep anything of all those initial influences. It is always really good to have a music buddy to work with, and give cross feedback. Here in the forum there's a lot of people into making music, and, now, of course, it's way easier and more common to upload it to youtube or other platforms.

What are your aims in music? Where would you like to get? If you are recording in a professional way, you might have already some albums out! You should drop some links! Rap & HipHop are not my cup of tea (even if the last song I've released is actually a collab with a German rapper! haha, but I do singing on it!), but I can appreciate the style and even enjoy it, depending on how aggressive it is!

It's nice to have you around! See you on the boards!

Best,

Michan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Noob
On 11/8/2019 at 6:36 AM, Michan said:

Hi @Jaytwicemusic!

Welcome to Songstuff!

Yeah, it is indeed a long intro, but if it made you feel better and more motivated to share it, it is cool! I would be interested to listen to your rap, and see if you keep anything of all those initial influences. It is always really good to have a music buddy to work with, and give cross feedback. Here in the forum there's a lot of people into making music, and, now, of course, it's way easier and more common to upload it to youtube or other platforms.

What are your aims in music? Where would you like to get? If you are recording in a professional way, you might have already some albums out! You should drop some links! Rap & HipHop are not my cup of tea (even if the last song I've released is actually a collab with a German rapper! haha, but I do singing on it!), but I can appreciate the style and even enjoy it, depending on how aggressive it is!

It's nice to have you around! See you on the boards!

Best,

Michan

Hey its nice to meet you & I appreciate you taking the time to read it! and I would say I do still tap into some of those influences, HipHop is basically my core style but sometimes I branch off into R&B, Pop, and Alternative music. Its pretty much what I'm feeling at the time. Once I'm to the point where I'm eating off this and can put all of my time into it I'm gonna be experimenting even more. & I agree about having a music buddy or even a community to learn from and grow with. I'm excited to build friendships on this forum.

When it comes to my aim in music, it's a lot to get into but basically I wanna make different kinds of music that different demographics can relate to and establish some kind of common ground that will bring opposing crowds together. I've always seen music as a powerful thing and its the perfect platform to address topics I feel need to be addressed. As far as where I want to get with it, I would like to make it big because like I said music can be a powerful thing and I want the right messages to reach as far as they can. But honestly as long as I'm getting paid to do what I love and can accumulate a loyal fanbase, making it "big" isn't THAT important to me.

I used to have a lot of music out from the highschool and I'm sure my old mixtape is still up somewhere but I scrapped a lot of it when I started taking music more seriously. I have a couple singles out on youtube and spotify called "Time" and "Backpage" however, those were recorded when I first was getting into the studio and recording professionally so they don't really represent where I'm at now.

I'm currently in the building process but I would love to show you some unreleased music I have! & I would like to hear some of your music as well. By the way sorry for the late reply I've just been working a lot lately and haven't had time to check in. Thanks for your time.

Peace& love

Jay 

• Noob
On 11/9/2019 at 8:27 AM, medals in the chute said:

Hi, Jay.  Welcome!  I'm new, too.  What kind of hip-hop have you been working on lately?

Thank you so much & thanks for giving it a read! Welcome brother! I've been working on a lot of different styles lately, I have a few lyrical conscious type songs, a few wavy tracks to vibe to, and I've even been dabbling with alternative music. A lot of tunes on the way, I cant wait for you guys to hear. How about yourself, what kind of music have you been working on? 

• Noob
7 minutes ago, medals in the chute said:

I know this is a weird combo, but I'm working on some 8-bit chiptunes, and also, very much separately, some emo/pop-punk/indie rock songs.  Here's a chiptune I put out this week called N I N JA 🐈C A T. Do you have anything finished you can share?

Aye that's really cool man! I've never met anyone who specializes in that lane! how long have you been doing it? & I can drop the link of an old song but doesn't quite represent where I'm at now. I have a lot of unreleased music that's way better. Do you know if there's a way to upload a file straight to this platform?(Nevermind just realized how)

Edited by Jaytwicemusic
Found the answer to the question i asked