Your Ad Could Be Here

housewife success

This is a happy report: It can be done, getting back into writing/playing/recoring after years long absence.

The 45-version of my little suite is nearly finished being written. I'd been playing the new mixes (2 guitar/2 vox) for Husband about every other day the past 2 weeks as I re-wrote and re-recorded - which we've never done before! Songstuff conversing made it seem natural to let the cat out during the writing process.

I wanted his non-musician opinion: did the suite still sound like 2 1/2 songs, or was it old Bowie thing where you had to listen more than once to really get it? Yet I stand by my own judgement foremost.

2 days ago I decided to record it with drums. (Prometheus you'll love this). I think of the song in my head and "play to the air". The timing was rotten and I scrapped it. Next day I did it again w/ 80% improvement, thus good enough to lay the rest down. I had noted that the little valance hanging over the window would keep a mic from banging against the glass, so I looped the cord up over the curtain rod and hoped for the best.

Fighting the clock as the five school aged children'd soon be home, I got drums, guitar and one vocal on in a 1/2 hour. They returned home (demanding hot chocolate) just as I was beginning that last vocal. "You just sit in here, quietly, while I do this LAST VOCAL," I chirpped while simultaneously shooing them out physically by leaping along behind them. The 5 yr old began to protest and I said, "SHH! THE RED LIGHT IS ON - BYE!!!"

I mixed down between homework-checking and pot roast simmering; and re-checked the mix via boom box and car speakers before the kiddie's bedtime.

I liked what I heard.

The drums made a huge difference. The man is starting to get it; I've played the mix for 3 ppl since.

Next night we went grocery shopping and I grabbed my midi-verb..."say, let's see if I can get an adapter for this thing", and he wanted to know what the effects would do so I told him. They don't yet have the adapter but I had that feeling I was supposed to go in there - sure enough, met 2 gear heads (and picked their little brains for as long as domestic harmony would allow.)

I had so much fun, it was like being online.

And, I figured out (preliminarily in a 90 second experiment) how to bounce the tracks. It was not what I rembered doing previously, so I don't yet know if it'll work.

Haven't recorded drums/vox/guitar as a "band" for ten years, maybe longer. The encouragement from this board has made all the difference. It is a very great relief to my mind (between headches ATom) to be wrapping my mind around all this again.

Guest voclizr
This is a happy report: It can be done, getting back into writing/playing/recoring after years long absence.

The 45-version of my little suite is nearly finished being written. I'd been playing the new mixes (2 guitar/2 vox) for Husband about every other day the past 2 weeks as I re-wrote and re-recorded - which we've never done before! Songstuff conversing made it seem natural to let the cat out during the writing process.

I wanted his non-musician opinion: did the suite still sound like 2 1/2 songs, or was it old Bowie thing where you had to listen more than once to really get it? Yet I stand by my own judgement foremost.

2 days ago I decided to record it with drums. (Prometheus you'll love this). I think of the song in my head and "play to the air". The timing was rotten and I scrapped it. Next day I did it again w/ 80% improvement, thus good enough to lay the rest down. I had noted that the little valance hanging over the window would keep a mic from banging against the glass, so I looped the cord up over the curtain rod and hoped for the best.

Fighting the clock as the five school aged children'd soon be home, I got drums, guitar and one vocal on in a 1/2 hour. They returned home (demanding hot chocolate) just as I was beginning that last vocal. "You just sit in here, quietly, while I do this LAST VOCAL," I chirpped while simultaneously shooing them out physically by leaping along behind them. The 5 yr old began to protest and I said, "SHH! THE RED LIGHT IS ON - BYE!!!"

I mixed down between homework-checking and pot roast simmering; and re-checked the mix via boom box and car speakers before the kiddie's bedtime.

I liked what I heard.

The drums made a huge difference. The man is starting to get it; I've played the mix for 3 ppl since.

Next night we went grocery shopping and I grabbed my midi-verb..."say, let's see if I can get an adapter for this thing", and he wanted to know what the effects would do so I told him. They don't yet have the adapter but I had that feeling I was supposed to go in there - sure enough, met 2 gear heads (and picked their little brains for as long as domestic harmony would allow.)

And, I figured out (preliminarily in a 90 second experiment) how to bounce the tracks. It was not what I rembered doing previously, so I don't yet know if it'll work.

Haven't recorded drums/vox/guitar as a "band" for ten years, maybe longer. The encouragement from this board has made all the difference. It is a very great relief to my mind (between headches ATom) to be wrapping my mind around all this again.

Hi Donna;

I also recently got back into home recording after a long absence, thanks mostly to the inspiration and encouragement of ATOM2. I'm new to this board and don't know how to post music on it yet, but you can check out my stuff, in the meantime, at www.soundclick.com/johnbowen. I'll put it up here too. after I figure it out (or does this site just provde links to other sites?) I'd like to hear your work. You sound rather excited about it. This stuff is great. It's really neat to be able to share the fruits of our talents with others. Happy recording!

John B.

Hi Donna,

Congratulations, talk about over coming obstacles. Happy for your exciting results! You go Girl!! Now you need to make MP3's and post it.

Hi John,

Right now Songstuff does not host Music, we are looking into doing that in the future. It is still a great idea to have a Songstuff page. It really helps you with search engine ratings and general visibility.

JohnB's Link

Hey John, welcome to Songstuff and back to writing/recording.

Excited and astonished!... thought it might take 2 years rather than 2 days to get a decently-timed drum track. Had littleidea what shape I'd be in after all this itime.

My goal is to have a first MP3 in time for the Chritstmas song contest here (thanks to Steve who'll give me hosting space). I'll check out your stuff when I am able, thanks for the link (and yes, Songstuff artist's pages only post links to songs).

Nigel, I appreciate your comments; cannot recommend the above stress session, but it's good to know one can do it if they must.

I've now finished writing it! (95% sure) I want to record it once more - we'll see if I have time. Plus, I liked that 2nd guitar part, but if I do THAT, it'll mean bouncing (ulp), now that the drums must stay.

How much can a girl be expected to do this time o' year?

I liked what I heard.

Rock and Roll!!! Well done! I would love to hear this if you decide to mp3 it and put it online... That sounds like some pretty cool cost effective ambient drum miking techniques there! :)

Sounds like you've thought out some clever strategies to adapt and overcome obstacles here... :)