Your Ad Could Be Here

Symphonic Metal

Hey everyone!

I'm currently working on making an album start to finish in the Symphonic Metal genre. I'm good with writing guitar, bass, drums and such but where i'm struggling is with the symphonic side of things, I have no clue how to compose pieces for an orchestra accompaniment. I know that stuff like that takes years of learning and experience, however i'm hoping to get some links or pointers to at least get me ball park where I want to be.  

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, one strategy is to listen to some classic orchestral works while at the same time reading the scores.  All of these materials are of course in the public domain.  A symphonic score (meant for the conductor) shows all of the parts up-and-down the page.

Another good genre to study is works for various ensembles, where only a handful of instruments are playing and they're each playing different parts.  You will immediately notice that they are playing parts that sometimes are in unison with one another and that sometimes overlap.  The bass and low parts are often long, legato passages while the high strings might be playing sixteenth-note passages that are outlining a chord.

• 2 weeks later...

But also ... I would very much encourage you to "prepare something, and post it!"  After all, right-here you are very sure to get a willing and interested audience.  Go ahead and post your "metal," this obviously being the genre-side that you are right now most comfortable with, and then "just have a go at" the symphony.  (Who knows – here you just might be rewarded with immediate responses by musicians who actually play in symphonies!  "This is the Internet, after all ...")  Anyhow, "you are very certain to find qualified collaborators."

• 2 weeks later...

Kalispera!

If you could transfer you guitars chords to a piano, it will make your life easier to arrange the symphonic instruments by its frequency and tone. And then, like the gang said before, study! Take some time and listen the instuments itselves! Some Lord of the Rings OST maybe! Just saying! 

Oh and if you need some swedish style death vocals, dont hesitate to contact me!

you never know!

Archived