Your Ad Could Be Here

Blogs asking for money for reviews/interviews

So my band has recently just released some music and we went to try and get some press to write about it so posted the album on a music submission website. Anyway we have only received offers from bloggers asking us to pay them money for an interview/review. Personally I had no idea this was even a thing, these blogs aren't exactly big time blogs that are going to be giving us loads of quality exposure, admittedly an interview with my band isn't exactly going to do much for them. But it feels like it is a mutually beneficial arrangement, we give them some content and they give us some promo. It just seems like anyone with an english degree now can just create a wordpress page and ask bands to pay for a write up, I have even seen bloggers posting things on fivver offering to do interviews and put them on their blogs. Surely if someone is serious about their blog they would want to carefully curate the things they write about and develop a reputation for giving good tips, not just write about any eager band who wants a simulation of what it is like to have a critically acclaimed album. Seems like a cheap way to make a quick buck off of the naivety of young musicians. Am I being too harsh? Am I wrong to be so dismissive of these blogs? Have any of you payed a small time independent music blog for a write up and if so was it worth it? 

"Han, your gut-instincts serve you very well." 🤠🤠

Post your carefully-copyrighted songs in the usual places from which they can be sold, and then start letting other folks know about it ... "such as, right here!" 😃

Within your own local community, are there "sites of local interest" which might be interested in local music?  How about ... (gasp!) ... non-digital options?

"Han, your gut-instincts serve you very well."

Post your carefully-copyrighted songs in the usual places from which they can be sold, and then start letting other folks know about it ... "such as, right here!" 😃  (By the way, I am utterly serious.)

Within your own local community, are there "sites of local interest" which might be interested in local music?  How about ... (gasp!) ... non-digital options?

As I very quickly discovered from my first-and-almost-only venture into "publishing an e-book," the obvious issue is that there is no longer any "barrier to entry."  Therefore, no matter how good [you think that ...] your product is, nobody will ever find you.

However:  "since the 'cost of goods sold' is now effectively zero," you actually don't have to find that many people!

Archived