Your Ad Could Be Here

A technique that can lead to an inexhaustible source of new song ideas

• Noob

In this video, I introduced a technique that can lead to an inexhaustible source of new song ideas. I first heard a version of this idea from my favourite songwriting tutors Ed Bell. Ed is the author of the book, ‘The Art Of Songwriting’.

1. Type your favourite artists' name into iTunes or Spotify or whatever service you use. Take note of their most popular tune.

2. Listen to the song.

3. Search for the lyrics online, or if they aren't available, transcribe them from the song. Read and digest the song lyrics.

4. Summarise the story (or topic) of the song in a single line.

5. Change one word of your summary in a way that alters its meaning.

You have anew song idea. Now write a song based on it. 🙂

For example, I'm a fan of The Secret Sisters. If I type their name into iTunes it tells me that their most popular song is called, 'Tomorrow Will Be Kinder'.

I Googled for the lyrics. Here is the first verse:

Tomorrow Will Be Kinder by The Secret Sisters

Black clouds are behind me, I now can see ahead

Often I wonder why I try hoping for an end

Sorrow weighs my shoulders down

And trouble haunts my mind

But I know the present will not last

And tomorrow will be kinder

It is clear to me that the story of the song is summed up in the title itself; 'Tomorrow Will Be Kinder'. In summary - the narrator has endured, sorrow, trouble and a heavy heart - but believes tomorrow will be a kinder world to live in.

In this case, I don't need to write a summary - it's already in the title.

By changing one word there are a few ways I could alter the meaning:

Tomorrow will be cruel.

Today will be kinder.

I will be kinder

You will be kinder

Tomorrow won't be kinder

Tomorrow should be kinder

Love will be kinder

Choosing two of these ideas to expand upon - I can easily come up with some new ideas:

Tomorrow will be cruel

What story can you tell with this idea? Has this person lost a lover and now they must endure life without them? Is their heart full of hate for someone who has 'done them wrong'? Has the world become a crueller place to live in as every day passes?

Today will be Kinder

What story can you tell with this idea? Are you going to be kinder from now on? Has something momentous happened in your life and now you have 'seen the light'. Is the world becoming a kinder place? Have you reconnected with a friend or a lover?

Any one of these angles can be the start of your nest song.

It is now your song, don’t re-write the original

Do not try to rewrite the original song or go through the original lyrics and alter them to fit your new story. Take this new story or topic and use it as a jumping-off point for your own song.

With this one technique (thanks to Ed Bell) you will never be short of song ideas again.

• 1 month later...

Archived