Your Ad Could Be Here

EQ an electric guitar (amp’d) recording

• Noob

So I recently had a long road trip to see family and my former lead guitarist lived in the area, so I set up three evenings while in town to mic up his amp and record his lead tracks to my songs using Reaper DAW and my Focusrite 2i2 ...

Well he realized at the very end that for the first half of the tracking he had his amp settings turned up for his acoustic guitar... so much more high end frequencies than we’d really wanted on a handful of takes.

is there anything besides a low pass filter or hours of EQ that might help take a bit of the bite out of the high end on these takes?

• Editors
26 minutes ago, ChrisInNOLA said:

So I recently had a long road trip to see family and my former lead guitarist lived in the area, so I set up three evenings while in town to mic up his amp and record his lead tracks to my songs using Reaper DAW and my Focusrite 2i2 ...

Well he realized at the very end that for the first half of the tracking he had his amp settings turned up for his acoustic guitar... so much more high end frequencies than we’d really wanted on a handful of takes.

is there anything besides a low pass filter or hours of EQ that might help take a bit of the bite out of the high end on these takes?

You should maybe try some form of a parametric equalizer to tame that high end. For eg., on the izotope's Neutron EQ, you can select a bell of a certain width and depth and I can select that eq node to be "dynamic" which will compress those band of frequencies as they act up to a certain threshold. This essentially helps me to clean things up only in that specific frequency range and only when it acts up too much.

Not sure if it will give you the result you're looking for but surely it might help clean some of that high end and lead you to an intermediate that could be worked with further.

• 2 months later...

Archived