Your Ad Could Be Here

about songwriting competitions

m00n

has anybody entered or considered entering a competition ever? entering one would be a big punt for sure, but they seem to offer the chance to connect with the industry in one way or another. some of the entry fees tho are a bit steep and tbh i also read that some of them might be scams. 

i just thought it might be an interesting thread if anyone has any competition stories but also informative like that. 

3 hours ago, m00n said:

has anybody entered or considered entering a competition ever? entering one would be a big punt for sure, but they seem to offer the chance to connect with the industry in one way or another. some of the entry fees tho are a bit steep and tbh i also read that some of them might be scams. 

i just thought it might be an interesting thread if anyone has any competition stories but also informative like that. 

Honestly, I don’t rate them. I can’t think of one serious case where they made a difference. I can’t think of one artist or writer that went through the process and it changed their lives.... with the exception of the massive marketing competitions like AGT/BGT, XFactor, American Idol..... but then you have to set aside any reservations and suspend belief, in order to believe they are honest and fair competitions. You also have to be prepared for those programs shaping you according to their vision and with TV ratings in mind, not your career.

There are a load of stories I could share about those kind of competitions, but I imagine you are more interested in the ISC or John Lennon Songwriting competitions and similar.

Competitions are businesses, not some sort of benevolent star factory. Prizes are donated because of the PR value. Money from entry fees covers judge fees etc.

So if it isn’t transformative, why do it? Bragging rights?

The trouble is, no matter the competition, they can all so easily be fixed, and the true integrity of the entity and individuals that run the competition is unknown.

• Like 2