Your Ad Could Be Here

Hello...

BFO

• Noob

Greetings, Songstuff-ers.

I just discovered this site yesterday and had a quick look around before signing up. Looks alright so far. 🙂 My story is, basically, that I've recently made the transition into the quiet, cosy life of a bedroom guitarist after covid put the band on ice. The upside of this is that a lot more time has been freed up to concentrate on writing songs, then recording the ones I like and posting them into the ether.

The downside is that I don't have as many opportunities to talk **** with other musos. So, I'm looking forward to having a space chatting about songwriting, posting what I've got and checking out what others are up to, songwise. I haven't read all the rules yet, but I assume they're mostly variations of "don't be a ****", which I'm pretty sure I can manage 😉.

Cheers!

🍻

• Like 1

• Noob
2 minutes ago, john said:

Hey BFO, welcome to Songstuff! Good to have you with us. :)

So, what’s your plan as a bedroom guitarist?

Hey john,

Basically, taking the time and energy available for making music away from doing gigs etc and honing in on the songwriting craft and seeing the process through from having an idea, to recording, then releasing the good ones... rinse, repeat. I can't really be bothered with the marketing side, though (and I'm not convinced there's a market for what I do, anyway), so they'll kind of just sit there for posterity, I guess.

I tended to find, in the past, that a lot of songwriting ideas would kind of pile up, get put on the backburner and never get finished, 'cause I was too busy trying to hussle for gigs and what not. Hopefully, dedicating more time to songwriting circumvents all that.

• Like 2

A pity about the marketing side. It takes creativity too, and is engaging listeners and trying to find your audience. The process is essentially the same (apart from the paid advertising option) whether you sell songs or give them away for free, including using video and live performance as part of your marketing efforts. A lot of artists rule it out like it’s something shady. It can be, but it really doesn’t need to be. Weirdly though, plenty are happy to reap the benefits as long as they don’t need to know, which really is shady! Still, if you know you aren’t interested, you aren’t interested.

Loads of good stuff to be explored in songwriting and seeing songs through to the end of the song creation process. If you aren’t marketing I guess by release you mean upload more than anything else?

Do you have any written yet?

• Noob
22 hours ago, john said:

A pity about the marketing side. It takes creativity too, and is engaging listeners and trying to find your audience. The process is essentially the same (apart from the paid advertising option) whether you sell songs or give them away for free, including using video and live performance as part of your marketing efforts. A lot of artists rule it out like it’s something shady. It can be, but it really doesn’t need to be. Weirdly though, plenty are happy to reap the benefits as long as they don’t need to know, which really is shady! Still, if you know you aren’t interested, you aren’t interested.

Loads of good stuff to be explored in songwriting and seeing songs through to the end of the song creation process. If you aren’t marketing I guess by release you mean upload more than anything else?

Do you have any written yet?

Yeah, I guess 'upload' is the more relevant term. I don't so much see the marketing as 'shady', as 'tiring'. I admire the people who have the requisite skills and the patience a lot. Maybe I'll get around to it, but I guess, for now, focusing on the writing and arranging is enough.

🙂

Edited by BFO

4 hours ago, BFO said:

I recently put some songs up on bandcamp. Not sure which is the appropriate forum to post a link, but here it is, anyway:

https://badfaithorchestra.bandcamp.com/

You have an About Me profile page, and once you get enough posts, a board signature. I would recommend adding your music links to both and some text and images to your About Me,  plus if you have some, adding a video link in your About Me. Videos and audio from main sites will auto embed players.

• Like 1