Your Ad Could Be Here

Why Do You Create Music?

Why Do You Create Music?

People have many reasons and facets regarding their involvement in Music. It may be a hobby, a professional goal, or an occupation. There are many paths toward becoming involved. The most common are listed below. Please select as many as you like and rank in your order of importance for yourself. Listing by numbers only is fastest and easiest to read for clarity.

1. Enjoyment, Fun, Hobby
  2. Learning/Educational Experience
  3. Self Expression
  4. Creatively Driven (psychological need)
  5. Social (plays with friends)
  6. Community (church, teacher)
  7. Career Aspiration/Goal
  8. Self Taught
  9. Formally Trained
  10. Lifestyle
  11. Fame or Celebrity
  12. Professional Recognition
  13. Writer or Collaborator (lyrics)
  14. Writer or Collaborator (music)
  15. Writer or Collaborator (both)
  16. Live Performer (solo)
  17. Live Performer (band)
  18. Instrumentalist
  19. Vocalist
  20. Instrumentalist and Vocalist
  21. Recording (demos)
  22. Recording (products)
  23. Income (part time)
  24. Professional
  25. Other

Any additional comments regarding yourself would be appreciated. (Comments regarding the post format are not helpful in answering the question. The question is to illuminate who you are in your own eyes.)

Mine would be 4, 15, 22, 17, 20, 24.

• Creativity is more important to me than money.
  • Fame has never interested me, celebrity I view as more of a curse than a blessing.
  • I personally see no difference in how people learn as it is the result not the method which matters. Some of the greatest musicians can’t read a note.
  • Although I am an adequate singer I prefer to let someone who is great, preferably a woman, be in the spotlight while I prompt the band.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Popthree said:

3 self expression

4 creatively driven(psycho need)

self taught

15 writer/lyrics & music

16 live performer (solo)

20 instrumentalist & vocalist

21 recording demos

over the years my answers would have looked different, but this is currently the best description of me and my relationship with music.  i gave up on trying to monetize my music a long time ago. i enjoy playing the guitar.  it relaxes me.  i keep writing songs because they keep coming out of me when i sit down to play.  i've tried sharing my songs online but that depresses me because very few people are interested in listening.  sometimes i visit open mic events.  that is somewhat more gratifying but honestly, the feedback may not always be genuine.  people try to be polite at those things, and its mostly just the other songwriters who are listening.  most of them don't care one bit what i'm doing.  everyone is consumed by their own self interests.  i think i have a love/hate relationship with music.

This is not unusual. People generally try to be polite and supportive. That's human nature. My personal experience with feedback is the only people who will really give you what you are looking for are those with a financial stake in your music. As long as you are happy with what you are doing nothing else matters. Keep doing what you like.

I've changed a lot over the years also. I used to love playing live with a band. I was hardcore Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll. Now I'm married, live in a beautiful area outside DC in Maryland, and my listening music leans toward John Coltrane and Miles Davis. I'd rather be at home with my wife and dog.

Oh boy!

At times all have applied, although number 11 got left in a ditch when I was about 22 after a small taste I realised fame/celebrity was more demotivating than motivating. I hated the loss of privacy (and all that went with it) and the loss of personal space.

Also, different aspects apply to different roles. My role as a musician would elicit different numbers than my role as an artist or even my role in community as an educator, which obviously is a big personal motivator.

That aside, I will reply foremost as a writer and artist. If I was to delve into Songstuff it would become way too complicated and bring in so many other facets, such as the buzz of helping someone and seeing what they achieve. The sense of personal achievement in creating this place and hopefully making a difference etc.

Ordering the numbers…

4Creatively Driven (psychological need)

25 Other (Connection)

1. Enjoyment

2 Learning/Educational Experience

3. Self Expression

15 Writer or Collaborator (both)

25 Other (Recording and Production)

20 Instrumentalist and Vocalist

25 Other (Making a mark/Doing something of consequence/Leaving something behind)

24 Professional

22 Recording (products)

12 Professional recognition

Once upon a time playing live would have been number 3 or 4, but that isn’t really an easy option anymore.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, VoiceEx said:

For me the only numbers that really matter are 1, 2, 3, 4, 12, 20, 22, 23, 24

Despite the work that I have done over the years, I am almost entirely psychologically driven. And I have always considered all other elements as mere byproducts of my obsession (or madness, depending who you ask). Never cared much for the audience itself or the mainstream. For me, everything amounts to results, and what means I must utilized to reach those results. Most artists have heroes or demons which have inspired them to move onward. But for me, these elements are purely analytic, histories and accomplishments to dissect under the microscope, and extract, utilize and incorporate, only that which which is relevant and useful (in accordance to current industry changes and relevance).

Spoken like a true madman 😅 because when it comes to music, all bets are off. Creativity comes first.

I kept tying to quote only the last paragraph but for whatever reason couldn't.

Being a madman who cares about nothing else is the anthem of great artists throughout the ages.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 12:52 PM, Clay Anderson Johnson said:

Why Do You Create Music?

People have many reasons and facets regarding their involvement in Music. It may be a hobby, a professional goal, or an occupation. There are many paths toward becoming involved. The most common are listed below. Please select as many as you like and rank in your order of importance for yourself. Listing by numbers only is fastest and easiest to read for clarity.

1. Enjoyment, Fun, Hobby
  2. Learning/Educational Experience
  3. Self Expression
  4. Creatively Driven (psychological need)
  5. Social (plays with friends)
  6. Community (church, teacher)
  7. Career Aspiration/Goal
  8. Self Taught
  9. Formally Trained
  10. Lifestyle
  11. Fame or Celebrity
  12. Professional Recognition
  13. Writer or Collaborator (lyrics)
  14. Writer or Collaborator (music)
  15. Writer or Collaborator (both)
  16. Live Performer (solo)
  17. Live Performer (band)
  18. Instrumentalist
  19. Vocalist
  20. Instrumentalist and Vocalist
  21. Recording (demos)
  22. Recording (products)
  23. Income (part time)
  24. Professional
  25. Other

Any additional comments regarding yourself would be appreciated. (Comments regarding the post format are not helpful in answering the question. The question is to illuminate who you are in your own eyes.)

Mine would be 4, 15, 22, 17, 20, 24.

• Creativity is more important to me than money.
  • Fame has never interested me, celebrity I view as more of a curse than a blessing.
  • I personally see no difference in how people learn as it is the result not the method which matters. Some of the greatest musicians can’t read a note.
  • Although I am an adequate singer I prefer to let someone who is great, preferably a woman, be in the spotlight while I prompt the band.

Great post! I have, at one point or another in my life, created for most if not all of these.

Right now, it is a deep psychological desire to push into uncharted territory and give everything my best effort. Along the way, I am continually learning. Also, being 100% open to experience. I have spent my entire life creating art. I have never given myself permission to accept the emotional fallout. All that is changing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Mueske said:

Great post! I have, at one point or another in my life, created for most if not all of these.

Right now, it is a deep psychological desire to push into uncharted territory and give everything my best effort. Along the way, I am continually learning. Also, being 100% open to experience. I have spent my entire life creating art. I have never given myself permission to accept the emotional fallout. All that is changing. 

That's great Steve go for it. I understand the creative drive part. As far as emotional fallout, I assume you mean rejection.

People learn more from failing than from success. Evaluate who the source is and why they said it. If it has validity you might want to recalculate some things. If it doesn't then it doesn't matter.

Imagination rules the world. - Napoleon Bonaparte

• Like 1

17 hours ago, john said:

Once upon a time playing live would have been number 3 or 4, but that isn’t really an easy option anymore.

I used to love playing live. Now it is the one point where it becomes all about the money.

Playing in a band with your friends when you are young is an entirely different animal than auditioning, rehearsing, and touring. 

4 hours ago, VoiceEx said:

that is one of the problems I have with mainstream songs. Its just more of the same. There`s a word for that... its called boring.

This is one of the points I attempted to make in my previous post The Future. Everything good which ever happens in any art form arises as a rejection of the previous form usually because it is overdone and no longer has life. It has become the proverbial beating of a dead horse.

Most often this goes hand in hand with generational change but except for the Internet changing the means of distribution things have been more or less static for 30 years. Technology is a vehicle not a genre, an art form, or a method of presentation.

It is true that the Internet has allowed some eccentric individuals and groups to attain distribution. However none of them have been game changing artists or performers. College age neo-hippies redoing Folk and Folk Rock is not groundbreaking or earth shaking news.

Returning to musical roots and reimagining them was what happened when White people discovered the Blues. That was huge!

It not only created recognition and amplification for that genre. It had far reaching repercussions having an impact in the Pop music world. Blues influenced guitarists such as Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page laid the groundwork for Heavy Metal creating a new genre.

1 hour ago, Clay Anderson Johnson said:

That's great Steve go for it. I understand the creative drive part. As far as emotional fallout, I assume you mean rejection.

People learn more from failing than from success. Evaluate who the source is and why they said it. If it has validity you might want to recalculate some things. If it doesn't then it doesn't matter.

Imagination rules the world. - Napoleon Bonaparte

I suppose it called rejection, but I've been at this too long to be affected by rejection in a professional sense. I've gigged, recorded, released, promoted, etc.; rejections and successes come with the territory. The applicable "rejection" in my case is indifference. I believe in what I do and for the most part it's pretty good. I hate self-promotion. I hate releasing independently, but creative control is essential. 

I just want to create. Everything else destroys my soul. I'd be lying if I said indifference doesn't matter. It does. But I'm not going to let it cripple me. I work hard, I've dedicated my life to creating art. This is at odds with consumer culture, but I own my soul. 

1 hour ago, Clay Anderson Johnson said:

This is one of the points I attempted to make in my previous post The Future. Everything good which ever happens in any art form arises as a rejection of the previous form usually because it is overdone and no longer has life. It has become the proverbial beating of a dead horse.

Most often this goes hand in hand with generational change but except for the Internet changing the means of distribution things have been more or less static for 30 years. Technology is a vehicle not a genre, an art form, or a method of presentation.

It is true that the Internet has allowed some eccentric individuals and groups to attain distribution. However none of them have been game changing artists or performers. College age neo-hippies redoing Folk and Folk Rock is not groundbreaking or earth shaking news.

Returning to musical roots and reimagining them was what happened when White people discovered the Blues. That was huge!

It not only created recognition and amplification for that genre. It had far reaching repercussions having an impact in the Pop music world. Blues influenced guitarists such as Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page laid the groundwork for Heavy Metal creating a new genre.

Music tech in instruments has revolutionised music many times. The transition from the plucked harpsichord, through piano and the piano-forte hugely influenced music. It tracks the music of Bach, through Mozart to Beethoven. The later invention of the synthesiser and then samplers and virtual instruments enabled entire genres to be born. Ok some were more of a shuffle forward and others were a leap. The revolution of the acoustic guitar through electronic guitar, plus guitar effects enabled blues guitar to shift from Robert Johnston through Eddie Cochran, Jimi Hendrix to Eddie Van Halen and Steve Vai. Even the acoustic guitar has gone on a journey from Johnston through Adrian Legg to Jon Gomm. Technology played a massive part in enabling the playing techniques and sounds that defined genres.

If you look at the internet, it has made finding and building an audience a very different proposition. The ability to laser focus on specific audience segments and analytics has transformed (is transforming) music marketing. Live stream allows you to play gigs without going on tour. For most that is an addition, for others it is instead of touring. 

Then there’s live collaboration using DAWs and cloud technology. Near zero latency for live recording across the planet. That’s huge.

I think it is entirely possible to function, even professionally, without technology making a huge impact. But the capabilities available can completely transform an artist or writer or producers opportunities and their ability to take advantage of them.

Technology plays a massive role in underpinning and enabling leaps forward in music. Nowadays we are so bombarded with advances, that the speed of progress has made massive changes an everyday occurrence. We hardly bat an eye.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, john said:

Music tech in instruments has revolutionised music many times. The transition from the plucked harpsichord, through piano and the piano-forte hugely influenced music. It tracks the music of Bach, through Mozart to Beethoven. The later invention of the synthesiser and then samplers and virtual instruments enabled entire genres to be born. Ok some were more of a shuffle forward and others were a leap. The revolution of the acoustic guitar through electronic guitar, plus guitar effects enabled blues guitar to shift from Robert Johnston through Eddie Cochran, Jimi Hendrix to Eddie Van Halen and Steve Vai. Even the acoustic guitar has gone on a journey from Johnston through Adrian Legg to Jon Gomm. Technology played a massive part in enabling the playing techniques and sounds that defined genres.

If you look at the internet, it has made finding and building an audience a very different proposition. The ability to laser focus on specific audience segments and analytics has transformed (is transforming) music marketing. Live stream allows you to play gigs without going on tour. For most that is an addition, for others it is instead of touring. 

Then there’s live collaboration using DAWs and cloud technology. Near zero latency for live recording across the planet. That’s huge.

I think it is entirely possible to function, even professionally, without technology making a huge impact. But the capabilities available can completely transform an artist or writer or producers opportunities and their ability to take advantage of them.

Technology plays a massive role in underpinning and enabling leaps forward in music. Nowadays we are so bombarded with advances, that the speed of progress has made massive changes an everyday occurrence. We hardly bat an eye.

I don't disagree with any of this.

You have a different concept of technology than most I have known. The majority of people I talk with think primarily of the Internet and having multiple outlets available for unsigned artists. A few think beyond that into DAWs and the availability of instantaneous communication. Few other than yourself have gone into the area of instrumentation in any depth.

Yes, technology. And I agree, working with sound is a form of voodoo, hi-tech voodoo, but voodoo, nevertheless. I thought for a long time the soundstage was just left and right, up and down, and forward and back. Technically, that's still "right," but there is still presence, pocket, and the emotional universe. Mixing isn't just getting things to sound good. Mixing is about emotional connection. 

I still say it's voodoo. It requires one to become a priest of the occult. It requires us to go deep inside ourselves. It requires time and artistry. That, my friends, is the true benefit of DIY indie production. 

Edited by Steve Mueske
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Steve Mueske said:

The applicable "rejection" in my case is indifference. I believe in what I do and for the most part it's pretty good. I hate self-promotion.

Self-promotion is what I do best. It has never crossed my mind that indifference to me might exist only that someone might not know my work yet. The only things which would separate me from being a narcissist are I have deep compassion and empathy for other people and would never harm anyone.

What I hate is the work involved with professional self-promotion. It is time consuming and can detract from other things. That's why I have a relationship with a publicist. You can too. 

People believe just because they don't have a label or are not mainstream they can't get professional assistance. That's nonsense. You can get any business help you need if someone sees you as a potential source of income. You may have to pay them a retainer but services are a business write off just like equipment. If you are not willing to put money into yourself why not? 

I also have investors. They didn't come to me. I found them and then exercised self-promotion. If you want a good incentive to get serious have an investor who contractually expects repayment. [Also have a good disclaimer, hold harmless clause in your agreement. This means you should also consider an attorney and should be registered as a LLC or incorporated. Consult your attorney for the best method for yourself.]

All these fall under the category of "finding your boy." They are out there and they won't find themselves. If you truly want any measure of professional success build your career like a business.