Your Ad Could Be Here

Blog Post - Develop Your Skills - Use Song Critique

17 hours ago, john said:

5EF181A7-86DC-430A-91CD-115EB90C1A29.jpeg

Hi

I just posted a new site blog post about the benefits of giving critique. As ever, feedback, comments and suggestions for new articles are very welcome.

Develop Your Skills - Use Song Critique

Cheers

John

Good post!

I admit I have a weakness in only commenting on someone's work if I have something positive or encouraging to say.  If I don't like something I won't say anything.  I don't feel being picayune about trivial issues is helpful. 

This is probably not a good thing in many ways as this is not good leadership or mentoring on my part.  However I don't want to be destructive as I know most people do not have the obnoxious level of self confidence I do.  Therefore I am hesitant to rain on anyone's parade.

There are also styles of music I simply don't like, such as acoustic guitar songs without percussion, so I feel biased in critiquing them. For all my faults, of which there are many, I would never be intentionally or unfairly unkind.

Edited by Clay Anderson Johnson
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Clay Anderson Johnson said:

Good post!

I admit I have a weakness in only commenting on someone's work if I have something positive or encouraging to say.  If I don't like something I won't say anything.  I don't feel being picayune about trivial issues is helpful. 

This is probably not a good thing in many ways as this is not good leadership or mentoring on my part.  However I don't want to be destructive as I know most people do not have the obnoxious level of self confidence I do.  Therefore I am hesitant to rain on anyone's parade.

There are also styles of music I simply don't like, such as acoustic guitar songs without percussion, so I feel biased in critiquing them. For all my faults, of which there are many, I would never be intentionally or unfairly unkind.

I think everyone has to do what feels right to them and this sounds like a sensible approach. I have a deal with the muse, and that is to always be honest. I try to be tactful (which I've hopefully grown better at over the years), but in the end I want people to know that they are getting my honest opinion. If something is irretrievably bad, I simply elect not to comment. People are human beings. It takes courage to post something you're proud of. I think it's important to recognize that. In the end, though, the truth is best spoken here before the world hears it.

Edited by Steve Mueske
  • Like 2

I agree about being honest, and tactful…. I would add, it’s important that what we offer is considered. It doesn’t need to be agreed with, but as a discussion, it’s important that points are thought about. Apart from anything else, one of the pay offs for spending time on offering critique is that the creator has at least heard you, that they at least invested the time to hear your conclusions.

One point I would make is that it’s a conversation. Because it is a conversation, those offering critique comments can choose not to load all their observations into one large post listing all the issues they spot.

• They can choose to deal with issues across a number of messages.
  • They can choose to mix positive and negative comments.

That way creators find it is easier to digest. It feels less like an assault. It becomes a less heated debate. Importantly for the person offering comments, there is less pressure to pull their punches. They can say all they want to say with less likelihood of it becoming an argument, just by spreading the “bad news” instead of feeling that they have to say it all at once.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, john said:

One point I would make is that it’s a conversation. Because it is a conversation, those offering critique comments can choose not to load all their observations into one large post listing all the issues they spot.

Good point!

Another which goes hand in hand with this is reading the author's entire post, not just the part submitted for critique, and asking questions before making statements.

• Why did you choose this phrase?
  • What was your intent in your choice of words or music?
  • What is your goal with this piece?

I posted one set of lyrics on the critique board. Previous to the lyric was a fairly detailed explanation of what my goal for the number was and why I made my choices.

I tried to provide as much insight as possible because what I wanted to know was if other people felt it would work to achieve my goal in the context intended not for suggestions in word choices, length of phrases, or emotional direction.

"I consider sets stage shows not just groups of songs. Start Big, Build, Continue High, Drop Emotional Level to lowest point possible, Build again, Climax, Finale.

This song is the tear jerker Show Stopper to make people cry at the low point. It is solo piano with vocal, no band. The tempo is Lento in the key of A minor with Gershwin style chording."

The majority of comments glossed over the explanation entirely. I spent most of my time in responses restating the same things in a different manner or explaining it was not a Pop radio song and meant to be depressing not a happiness booster shot.

None of the comments answered or even addressed the question I was attempting to ask. Do you think this will work in the context it is intended for?

• Like 1