Your Ad Could Be Here

New Music Friday #3

Welcome to New Music Friday #3. Looking forward to listening to what's in store this week.

Okay, so I spent the bulk of my time finishing the song from last week (three solid days, because I get obsessed). I wasn't happy with how it turned out (though I'm glad I let it sit for six months before digging it out of storage).

The piece I'm posting for NMF3 is a new Pentachrist song I'm writing. All I have in the project so far is the intro and the next minute or so of drums that I've started programming. Without guitar and bass, it may seem disconnected, but everything will fit. Hopefully. It does in my head anyway. I apologize for the early draft, but I committed to the idea of posting whatever I had of this track this week, and it's what I'm focused on next. 

https://rcrft.co/reel/whoisthemuesk/nmfsketches

I'm traveling to the Atlantic coast this weekend, so probably won't get a chance to properly respond much until Sunday evening. 

• Like 1

It's really cool hearing early drafts. Sometimes I get this idea that much better song writers like yourself start off with fully realized ideas but that's just insecurity talking. The beginning half sounds like a bit like the Max Payne Soundtrack. I'm curious how you will fit it in with those drums.

Here is something I've been working on the past two weeks. I'll be attempting to sing over it and have somewhat of an idea. Still needs a buildup for the section right before the end. It's pretty barebones in places. I'm struggling to add new elements from 2:28 to 3:35. I've tried recording some guitar tracks but nothing seems to fit nicely. Any suggestions?

• Like 2

Ryan, I have imposter syndrome (like many people), so I find your comments both reassuring and amusing. Trust me, I finish about three songs per year. Of those three, I probably start 20. I'm constantly working, but I'm always riddled with self-doubt. Most of it teaches me something in some way or another.

I listened to your track late last night, but was too exhausted to properly comment. What sticks out in my mind is the wonderful texture and the growly bass. One thing I love about your work is how you seemingly effortlessly shift through ideas. I know what you mean about areas of a song always needing more or less. I think we're alike in that we are stewards of the song, that is, the song always teaches us, over time, what it wants.

Mike, you know I'm a fan. I love all kinds of music, and I love listening to your work. What you do is unique and important. Your music is inspiring, and I'm sure I'll be learning a lot from you. I listened to your piece last night, too. Thank you for dropping some music, which I very much enjoyed. I love jazz clubs. Before I moved, I went to a local jazz club called The Dakota, where I've seen Roy Hargrove, Hiromi, Nooky Jones, and recently got the chance to see Al DiMeola, which was about as close to a religious experience as I'll ever have.

VoiceEx, really looking forward to hearing new music from you, Brother! 

@Popthree I like the way your song has an organic feel. If your method works for you I say keep at it. No need to try to get into electronic because it really can be uninspiring at times working with waveforms instead of instruments. That current loop you posted is enchanting and relaxing.

@Steve Mueske Thanks for the kind words. I've signed up for guitar lesson and I'm hoping to learn a lot more theory going forward because while I like having the song guide me on where it wants to go without proper musical knowledge that is beyond very basic stuff I find I get stuck and I'm just unable to proceed even when I want to take it a step further.