Your Ad Could Be Here

Bent Fingers?

All my life I've struggled getting bass notes to not get muffled when playing bar chords. My index finger likes to hook over the fret bar if I'm not careful, so I have to play with my guitar neck tilted up a lot. Anyway . . . after 63 years of life it dawned on me a while back to look at my index fingers together and I couldn't believe how crooked they are. I went and looked at an old photo of myself in my early 20's where I was barring a chord and it's plain in the photo that my fingers were bent back then too, so this isn't a new condition. How I could have went way over half a century without noticing this is the real mystery. Anybody else have fingers this crooked?  My ring fingers are almost perfectly straight but all the others are bent at least a little.

index.jpg

hands.jpg

Hey DM .. mine not AS bent, but twice as wrinkly!

But my barre chords were still always crap (due to cheap guitars with high strings). So instead I learned early on to hook my thumb around for the bass note ... which in itself opened the door for advanced fingerpicking. Once learned, never forgotten ... I simply don't use barre chords to this day.

Mind you, this is all minor stuff.  Any of us that can still play guitar/piano should just be grateful we don't have arthritis in our hands!

Greg 👍

• Like 1