Your Ad Could Be Here

Greetings Earthlings

1 hour ago, Reid Gibson said:

Greetings earthling composers and music appreciators. I'm new here, and seeming that this pandemic is not going away anytime soon, I'm stepping out of my comfort zone to see if there are any musicians/composers who would like to discuss, collaborate, share ideas or whatever.

Hi and welcome to Songstuff Reid! Looking forward to hearing your music!

btw,, I moved your reply into the Introduce Yourself board as a topic. You had replied to a specific thread that asked questions about your background… with a plain vanilla introduction (albeit from your spacecraft now orbiting earth!)…. We try to reply “on topic” to make threads “what they say on the tin”, which makes it much much easier to find what you are looking for both now and later. You are of course very welcome to reply to the topic you originally replied to, though we do expect you to be assimilated mwuahahaha, I mean… we do expect you to answer the questions asked. :) :jumping38:

Thanks for your understanding.

Thanks John, I appreciate your patience. I am a complete techo-phob when it comes to social media stuff (other than YouTube), the rest of my family thinks I'm an alien as well, or perhaps a Neanderthal.  Wow, I see you're from Scotland, that be where my ancestors are from (Ulster region?) before they came to Boston about 1690. Now there's thousands of Gibsons here.  I like your music influences!

• Like 1

Hey

No problem at all. Forums are much more organised into collections of topic related discussion threads than other social media. It makes them much more effective for storing and retrieving information.

Ha! You’re lucky I am into an origin of names (personal a place) and history!

As an FYI, Gibson is a Scottish name, but doesn’t really have it’s own clan as such. Clans can be a little confusing. People often think that everyone had the same last name, but the reality was that in addition to people with the clan name, there could be people with quite a number of last names, families that owed their allegiance to a clan and clan chief. When there were family groups within a clan, each was known as a “sept” of the Clan. Ie Gibson of clan Buchanan. Gibson was a sept within 3 or so main clans. Buchanan and MacMillan are two of them (I played in a pipe band that wore one of the Buchanan tartans and my wife was born a McMillan. I also had ancestors who were Gibb and Gibson.). I have a feeling another clan they were involved with might be clan Campbell, but don’t quote me.

Ulster is in Ireland, and there was a large Sept of clan Buchanan Gibson’s around Ulster. They were of course originally from Scotland :), but that is the Ulster connection. Clan Buchanan is an affiliation of about 50 different family septs. The Gibson Tartan is very similar to the Ancient Buchanan (the tartan I wore in that pipe band) and you could then legitimately wear the Gibson tartan and Buchanan tartans. The Gibson tartan is relatively new, though. As Ulster Gibson’s your ancestors would have been part of clan Buchanan, so they would have worn the Buchanan tartan.

As a complete aside, the Bee Gees were originally from Scotland. Bee Gee… originally the Brothers Gibb, shortened and trendy-fied lol

Back on your Scottish link, the Gaelic for Gibson is Mac Gibealláin or Mac Giolla-Bríghde, meaning 'son of Gilbert'. The first is a more literal translation.

ok enough about all that lol. Music!

Thanks John, you are a wealth of information. My mom went over to Scotland in the 90's and did mention the Buchanan connection.  Also had an uncle named Gilbert. Anyway, from Boston they went to New Hampshire (Francestown), then to Vermont, then to Cataragus, New York, Michigan, then to Montana, where my dad was born, son of a cattle rancher. He left home at 17 for Los Angeles. But I currently live neat Kansas City, Mo.  Where in Scotland do you call home? Do you write music? Do you currently play in a band? A million questions.