Your Ad Could Be Here

Things I've Learned and Thought About A long The Way

1) You may reserve the right to be boring but please don't go there 

2) Not every song needs solos. But if it calls for one or two, keep them short and musically interesting. Nobody likes an egocentric showboat always trying to prove how fast they can play for days on end. Don't be a w*nker. Leave your audience wanting more, not demanding you stop playing altogether. 

3) Regarding lyrics, corny love songs, songs about trucks, girls and beer have been beaten to death, DO NOT GO THERE!!! Seek out the unusual, off the beaten path subjects or a good story, real or imagined. Also, avoid the sour grapes, angst ridden complaining about girls, politics and mommy or daddy issues. If that's what you obsess over, for God's sake, get into therapy!!!

4) Guard against over-repetition 

5) Humor does belong in music 

6) Pauses, spaces and dynamics are wonderful components of music. Let it breathe. 

7) Given the choice between an antiseptically clean perfect take or a slightly imperfect one with a great feel and vibe, I'll take the feel and vibe approach every time (It worked for Eddie Kramer quite beautifully). 

8) Work to expand your vocabulary both with music and lyrics. Add interest but be careful not to bludgeon your audience with your knowledge. 

9) Don't take yourself so damned seriously 

10) Yell at imaginary kids to get off your lawn every so often. It's very cathartic. 

11) Even if you don't make a dime, creating music is good therapy and keeps you sharp. 

• Like 2

On 3/17/2023 at 12:31 AM, Talk To Bears Music said:

9) Don't take yourself so damned seriously 

I second that. I've had the "pleasure" of working with producers and musicians whose of sense of self-importance and pomposity were on a whole new 'level', reaching far beyond the stratosphere.

We talking the kind of people that can't pass by a mirror without physically 'touching' their own reflection, "Creation of Adam" style. Just being in their presence instantly makes you cringe and convulse, as if you're having spasm. You can tell by the 'look' in their eyes, that they are just waiting for an opportunity to burst into song and start talking in 'third person'. Yes, like a Disney villain or mental patient.

In case your wondering where you might find the usual suspects, look no further then the elitist jazz/classical scene. That's where you are more likely to find the graves which they have emerged from.

And, no, I'm not saying that they're all like that. But the one's that are.. well.. lets just say.. before you venture into the catacombs, arm yourself with some holy water, a cross, and a taser. And, no, these tools are not meant for them. They are for you. Trust me, you'll want to lose consciousness after 30 minutes into the conversation with one of these people 😅

Edited by VoiceEx
  • Like 2