Your Ad Could Be Here

Boomers and Good music

• Editors

I've seen older Youtubers like Rick Beato on many occasions sh*t on the modern music era and its quality or fidelity. Although I agree with him during most times, it irks me during some others. Not because there aren't enough examples that may suit his point, but because there are SO MANY young bands out there who make really good music that aren't taken into consideration when making such judgements. (On an allegedly unrelated note, one of the songs I posted last week on the Musician's Lounge comes to mind)

I've also seen this topic come up constantly around here in these forums. I think Mary does a good job creating a balanced discussion about these things. Also given the fact that the label of 'musician' or anything else can be easily hijacked due to the advent of internet and technology, it's important to separate that from the lineage of music, musical art form and its culture that is still alive in many of the young musicians out there who are taking it forward; whose importance will be surely acknowledged in a larger context in the future. Just like we have with people like Jeff Buckley, Kurt Cobain and Nick Drake in the past; and those like Amy Winehouse and Mac Miller more recently. 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I don't really have a horse in either race, and don't follow pop music, except in a peripheral sense, but from my experience her comments about Boomer nostalgia are spot-on. I think it's an intelligent response to Rick Beato's diatribes, but that's a whole different thing. I don't think he's railing against current pop so much as the safety of much of it. There are two different arguments here, and the threads of each are probably longer than I care to engage. I can say that she's right, like it or not the musical landscape is much different now. It's much harder to reach the levels both are talking about, but the underground is so much larger and easier to access as a fan. The problem is market saturation.

This is a great topic @Mahesh! :)

To be perfectly honest, I don't really follow Rick Beato's content but I do remember that specific video. It was unfortunate to see an established producer with credentials reach for such low hanging fruit. Shitting on modern music is something that literally anybody could do, and I would expect more from an educator.

As for Mary. Yeah I think she did a good job in balancing the discussion! I also liked that she briefly touched on the content creation aspect, and how it play's a significant part in the pipeline. That's very true. Though I would like to point out that i'm not a fan of discussion videos that have minimal entertainment value. Just a personal preference, yes. Also the only material she actually promoted was her own. Though i'm just being nit picky 😅

So about the topic itself...

As far as "dinner table conversations" go, personally, I prefer to judge music based on how good it is. Trivial matters such as: "When it was made" or "Why it was made" are elements that hold no real ground as far as i'm concerned. This principle applies to all music genre's, at any given point in time.

I would also like to note that if a content creator wants to encourage an objective discussion, without having their own bias play such a big role in that discussion, they could simply make a poll or a survey in their community, and then make a video (or several videos) analyzing the results in an educational and entertaining manner, while highlighting the most thought provoking comments and encouraging a positive and informed group discussion around those points.

If nothing else, wouldn't that be better than pinning different age groups 'against' each other, just for the sake of milking views? Just saying 😅👍

Edited by VoiceEx