And the future is shorter still

I sit in silence and cry inside

for all the time that I've killed

Kentucky

I've waited too long to leave you

I'm old, slow, and I'm grey

Shoestring----Sept. 2005

• 2 weeks later...

That is cool. This poem could have been about a relationship with a person.

Is Kentucky really that bad or is this fiction?

That is cool. This poem could have been about a relationship with a person.

Is Kentucky really that bad or is this fiction?

I think Kentucky is just used as a metaphor for the subjects life up to then.

Not sure about the line

a lot less love caused hurt

This lost me a bit (God, who am I to talk!), but otherwise its great stuff.

Actually, after about ten days of trout fishing in the clear, cool, dry, no arthritis, Rocky Mountain air of Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana, and then driving home and hitting thunder strorms and 90% humidity in Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana and of course Kentucky, I was wondering why I've stayed here so long.

One could easily substitute some thing / where else for Ky. and change the conditions to suit their own longings I suppose. I considered rewriting, turning this into a ficticious 3 verse country song, and may do that still, sometime in my shortening future.

"A lot less love caused hurt"; I really hadn't thought of it anyway but the way I meant it, but I see how it could have other meanings based on the way one reads it. I meant; Less hurt / pain, caused by love, If you ever wrote a rhyme, you know the feeling.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Shoestring

I hesitate now to post this, as the poetry is much more interesting than the explanation. Sometimes even when what we write is nothing more than what it says, there is a bit of mystery to the strangers who read it. I love it when I can place myself in someone else's story, and if someone else relates personally to their own interpretation of something I write, then that's even more cool. I am a part time solo performer working with acoustic guitar. I sometimes sing this with a pace that takes just over a minute to complete.

I hesitate now to post this, as the poetry is much more interesting than the explanation. Sometimes even when what we write is nothing more than what it says, there is a bit of mystery to the strangers who read it. I love it when I can place myself in someone else's story, and if someone else relates personally to their own interpretation of something I write, then that's even more cool.

I agree with you here.

I like the less love caused hurt line a lot. It didn't trip me in the least.