Your Ad Could Be Here

Mixing and Production Process

john

IMG_8096.jpeg

Hey

I’m putting together an article and video about mixing and production.

Would you be willing to share your approach to mixing and production? Are there stages to your process? Are there regular steps you take within each stage? For example, what is your approach to mixing drums? What about bass? What is your approach to music production?

Also, what DAW do you use, and what VST do you use in order to build your mixes? Are there any VST and effects that you are using just now?

To round it off, I’d love to hear how you go about getting your vocal sound, and lastly how you knit it all together in a final mix.

Video/audio examples would be brilliant!

Many thanks.

Cheers

John

Wowsers! You are asking about EVERYTHING!!

I've covered bits of everything you've mentioned in many response to multiple different posts in different forums.  Others have too.  We can all retrieve this via the 'Activity' menu ...

image.png.ca09be3f5188f57953296eaf0bdd819f.png

Perhaps a different but more manageable approach for everyone is for you to create either

1. a BLANK master document (Google or Word) with basic formatting for any submiiter to access, fill, and send to you for collation, or
  2. a SHARED Google Document that people edit enter their contributions.
    (Probably more prone to problems than option (1)

For example, a CHAPTER for each of the things you are interested in, e.g.:

Chapter 4. Vocal Production. 

Asdf .ksadf khaskdfh ksadfhf khklasdfh ksafdh khkhkashd flkhsadhf hsahh hasdhds hsdafhsdafh sfdkasdh khaskhdkh kh khaskdhf khsd hdskah hsajddjsha sh h dhf  jdh jdh jhdj hapsd fhhd f sadh jdsah has dh.

The above being a single paragraph which explains the topic

Each contribtor then provided their relevant own sub-section, e.g.:

4.1 Vocal Production experience - John Moxley 

Asdf .ksadf khaskdfh ksadfhf khklasdfh ksafdh khkhkashd flkhsadhf hsahh hasdhds hsdafhsdafh sfdkasdh khaskhdkh kh khaskdhf khsd hdskah hsajddjsha sh h dhf  jdh jdh jhdj hapsd fhhd f sadh jdsah has dh asdf .ksadf khaskdfh ksadfhf khklasdfh ksafdh khkhkashd flkhsadhf hsahh hasdhds hsdafhsdafh sfdkasdh khaskhdkh kh khaskdhf khsd hdskah hsajddjsha sh h dhf  jdh jdh jhdj hapsd fhhd f sadh jdsah has dh.

:

:

:

[with screen grabs, audio files etc..]

[and with ONE link to the submitter's web/socail presence]

You would retain overall editorial.

If you'd like assistance with the general document formatting, Table of Contents, etc., let me know.

Cheers,

Greg

• Like 1

Hi Greg,

About everything? Yes and no. I want to build something that gives a rough overview of different approaches, something to help people navigate different types of set up and needs, different approaches. I hope there will be deeper dives on individual approaches as well as specific like recording and producing vocals.

For now, I think an overview would be useful. For example, a folk producer is likely to have different needs and a different approach than an EDM producer. A hip hop producer has different needs and approach from an indie rock producer. I thought if members shared their approach, their set up. It might make for some useful examples (with permission of course). On top of that I can link from the article, video and blog, to this topic.

Cheers

John

5 minutes ago, john said:

I want to build something that gives a rough overview of different approaches

Hi John.   I wasn't questioning the objective at all, rather that ... 1) the 'question' is far too broad without ... 2) an example as to what a typical response should look like (length, level of technical detail, illustration examples), or ... 3) an overall skeleton structure to guide and focus people's contributions (e.g. the topics listed via Headings and Sub-Headings).  

If you want to accrue a catalog of responses that can be easily chiselled into a "article, video and blog", then responses need to follow some broad common approach.  Even then, the editor's task would be enormous.  Whereas separate self-contained personal mini-blogs can simply be listed under a common heading.

Greg 👍