Your Ad Could Be Here

Prometheus, a proposal

Hey Prometheus~

What do you think of trying to give me a beginner project on Kristal? LOL, like me finding out how to get the mp3 "to" the Kristal studio thing? Here's what I have besides Kristal: many mp3's of Last Train in various guises.

Student ready (at the moment anyway)!

Hey Prometheus~

What do you think of trying to give me a beginner project on Kristal? LOL, like me finding out how to get the mp3 "to" the Kristal studio thing? Here's what I have besides Kristal: many mp3's of Last Train in various guises.

First thing you need is to convert your mp3 into something that can be imported into Kristal (it doesn't import mp3's as far as I can see) - the most practical will be to convert it into a .wav file. There are various pieces of software that will do this for you - I either use MusicMatch, Audacity or dbPoweramp all of which I happen to have on my machine but you can use anything (beware a little of some of the internet offerings that love to fill your machine with cr*p and trojans) - Audacity is good and solid and useful generally and will also allow you to create mp3's so may well be worth downloading - it's at Audacity if you want it.

All you then need to do is open the mp3 in Audacity or whatever and convert the file into a wav file. Once you have that file open Kristal and the Kristal waver window comes up. The leftmost icons under the box entitled 'Waver 1' allows you to browse your computer and open a file. It will then import the file you want and you can start butchering it! It will import it as a stereo track.

Hey Prometheus~

Okay... Sounds like a good idea... How about this for a project... To record a two track demo, guitar and vocal, with a reverb applied on the vocal and some compression used on the vocal and the guitar... I'll try to write something up this evening or tomorrow to give you a rough guide on how to set about it, or you can have a go at it and message me if you get stuck whatever you prefer...

If you plug a couple of outs from your Tascam machine into the soundcard at the back of your computer, you should be able to use the Tascam preamps and mixer...

What do you think?

Edited by Prometheus

That sounds like a manageable first project. I've no soundcard, though.

(At least I don't think we do). All computers then are sound cardable?

PS: I'm on heavy domestic duty of late, so if I can't get back right away, that's why.

That sounds like a manageable first project. I've no soundcard, though.

(At least I don't think we do). All computers then are sound cardable?

PS: I'm on heavy domestic duty of late, so if I can't get back right away, that's why.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

If you downlaod this, and run it, and give me a brief run down on what it says, I'll be able to tell you exactly what the machine can do... I do a bit of system admin in my spare time...

You're a dear. I'll get that download tonight hopefully. OK, 2nd possible complication is that the Tascam is two rooms away from the PC. I do have some whomping long mic cable, I think 40 ft...but if I'm controlling via the Tascam, I should probably move it near the PC, yes?

What does this mean?

"Click the Run button in Internet Explorer's File Download pop-up."

This is supposed to be done after clicking on "click here" to downlodad. I'm confused by the words "download pop-up".

What does this mean?

"Click the Run button in Internet Explorer's File Download pop-up."

This is supposed to be done after clicking on "click here" to downlodad. I'm confused by the words "download pop-up".

You're probably better right clicking and "save as" then installing it from the hard disk...

Hey~ I sent ya all the Belarc stats for our PC in a PM.

Well Donna, the short answer is that you can do pretty much any audio manipulaiton you want with a computer of that standard... I would advise you pick up a 24 bit sound card which should hit you for about twenty bucks, and then you'll be ready to go...

Definitely, that's affirm on moving the Tascam closer to the computer if possible... Then you can use the mixer on the Tascam to control your gain structure and use the Kristal Engine program (or whatever) on the PC as your virtual tape... If you run into any problems with routing, let me know the details and I'll write down a procedure for you...

No way!! Twenty bucks? And this little computer 'should' be recordable? Plus I can mix with my colorful Tascam knobs?

Wow... is it getting soon to harvest time already (re: me/the musical "plant" stuck in the ground, letting it be)?

OK, lemme digest this and I really appreciate you not being in a hurry and we can take our time with this conversation/applying it. Better than toast and tea, Prometheus.

No way!! Twenty bucks? And this little computer 'should' be recordable? Plus I can mix with my colorful Tascam knobs?

Wow... is it getting soon to harvest time already (re: me/the musical "plant" stuck in the ground, letting it be)?

OK, lemme digest this and I really appreciate you not being in a hurry and we can take our time with this conversation/applying it. Better than toast and tea, Prometheus.

Roger That Donna. Just give me a shout when you're ready...

• 2 weeks later...

OK, hopefully I can get a sound card in a couple weeks....I'm gearing up for trying this in my mind in the meantime. You said, Mr. P, that I could plug a couple of outputs from the tascam into the sound card.... So the sound card is not a card per se, but has female jacks for plugs ins, or ?? Will I need some kind of adapter? Yeah - and how/which outputs do I use from the tascam to go out, to the soundcard (doh-line out maybe, hee hee)?

What I have is the regular mic cable (1/4 jack).

Also, my guitar's a goner. So it may be a keyboard thing (ack!) with voice...if so, the same effect (compression) should I attempt on the keys?

Thanks!