Your Ad Could Be Here

Borrowed Axe + little update

Hey all~

My poor ovation, with its crack down the middle of the body went kaput (or I found that it did about 2 weeks ago). I'd taken a good long break and when I opened the case, the strings were completely loose - because the bridge had come off 3/4's of the way, like a ski slope. The wood on the other side of the bridge, going toward the neck is coming off in wide strips kinda. It looks ghastly, a mortal wound. So it's a goner. Pete (the green guitar pick guy) told me it was only a matter of time.

But I just found a neighbor who said I can use their axe most weekends. So I have the Ibanez in my little house. It's passable!

Onward and upward (sorta I think)~

My son has a friend who offered to give me (!!) his "Frankenstein" bass which he built (!!). Apparently to be delivered to me tomorrow. These are teens...I'll bet I end up knocking around with them, I know of no adults who write and play in my immediate area, much less women.

I'm as girly as many, but I get just starved for a couple women musicians to hang with.

My whole life I can see is going to change a lot, what with the littlest children no longer infants. All of a sudden I'm going, hey where's my (non-cyberspace) friends, musicians, my life? I guess that's what being a stay at home Mom is. You really get off the world - for years! So there's more than songs and mixes which need to be built. Hey thanks for keeping up with me...I'd not a concept of being a musician AND having a rich life, or not for very long, anyway. But now...I am going to try to KEEP building both, and building well.

I can remember clearly realizing the family would have to come first. A huge shock, because music wasn't a mistress, but a spouse.

Still have some years at home with little ones, but never before did I see there would someday be an end to this part of my life. I wouldn't trade it, though, for anything. Why does this board coincide with self knowledge and change for me?

Boy it felt good to play guitar tonight.

Edited by Donna

Sorry to hear about the guitar! I'm glad you can look to the future and see something there. I had five years at home looking after the kids while my wife went back to work. It was a pretty lonely time (for a bloke) I didn't get invited back for coffee after play group with the other mums! When I did finaly see some light at the end of my tunnel, some b*st*rd switched it off!

When I did finaly see some light at the end of my tunnel, some b*st*rd switched it off!

Sorry about that Stevo, just trying to save money :-/

I find sometimes in life, if you look at the rocks in the road and the cracks in your way, it seems daunting and undoable. It pays to look past these things and see the destination. I'm glad you are able to see that Donna. It helps!

I had five years at home looking after the kids while my wife went back to work. It was a pretty lonely time (for a bloke) I didn't get invited back for coffee after play group with the other mums!

Harsh.

I've always felt a bit too rough to fit in with the other Mom's...and too uppidity to fit in with the really rough Moms.

Sorry about that Stevo, just trying to save money

;D The Wolf hath struck again!

I find sometimes in life, if you look at the rocks in the road and the cracks in your way, it seems daunting and undoable. It pays to look past these things and see the destination. I'm glad you are able to see that Donna. It helps!

Yeah, it do! Think I had help in order to see. Let's hope it lasts as summer has been my hardest time of year wiff everyone home.

Well, this young 'un brought the bass just as promised! He has several axes as is usual with a youngster - with siblings - all really into music. And brought a case, too...I didn't know what to say except "please stay for dinner."

If I stick with simply playing the Frankenbass even a few minutes a day, I'll learn again - plus my hands will become very strong as this is a heavy and perhaps oversized axe. It will not work in the long run in that way as my hands are not bigman sized!

Did get a useable sound playing yesterday (plugged into my tiny monitor)...and so with Providence providing this will forge ahead as best I may.

I remember when I was in school we rented some equipment for a school gig, (we didn't own any instruments), and the guitar was "home made" ;D it was the ugliest thing on earth with a hole in the body to grab it (later I saw Steve Vai's Jem model with the same "enhacement")...

now that you're into recording you can pass the info to the kid!!

Hole in the body to grab *what*? ???

Yeah, these young uns...They're great to talk to for inspiration. The teen who made the MP3 was surprised that the tascam mixer used circular knobs. I could see his big brain turning things inside out, he's only seen visual linear signals. We have a vague standing date for him to monitor levels.

The bass body is a Squire. I asked Matteo, "Is that named for Chris Squire?" Blank look. "The bassist for 'Yes'," said I. Although a couple listen to Boston and stuff. They think it's cool that I know even roughly the drum part to 'More Than A Feeling'. Even older children really can be easy to please/connect with.

Guest voclizr
My poor ovation, with its crack down the middle of the body went kaput (or I found that it did about 2 weeks ago). I'd taken a good long break and when I opened the case, the strings were completely loose - because the bridge had come off 3/4's of the way, like a ski slope. The wood on the other side of the bridge, going toward the neck is coming off in wide strips kinda. It looks ghastly, a mortal wound. So it's a goner. Pete (the green guitar pick guy) told me it was only a matter of time.

Lady D;

:o Ovations aren't exactly junk guitars. I'm wondering what could've possibly happened to cause it to go into this condition. A little break from playing (or even a good long one) in itself shouldn't have caused the bridge to go blooey on ya. Sure there wasn't another problem? :-/

I'd also check on the warranty. If I'm not mistaken some O's have long ones, if not lifetime.

John B. :)

Hi, JB! Thanks for chiming in. I agree they are not junk. This one is an acoustic.

Yet the crack had been there since Gene the biker left the Ov at my home at least five years ago, sadly never to be seen since (Geno, where art thou?).

Hence, I have no warranty.

The only possible thing I can think of which happened (y'all will kill me for this if it's true), is that the guitar was stored near the outer rims of a fireplace...like 2 1/2 feet of brick wall away from the outer edge of the fireplace proper. Nestled between that brick column and a piece of furniture, leaning against the wall.

But why should we have a fire in April or May? I don't think we did. And the guitar was at the same spot all winter...maybe we had one fire around Christmas.

The neighbor gave me ten bucks to replace the Ibanez strings, so I'll get to see Pete and I'll get his opinion (and perhaps begin a modest layaway deal for a new axe).

Edited by Donna