Your Ad Could Be Here

Akai 3000XL

• Noob

Hi All,

Being a drummer by trade the whole electronic thing is still reasonably new to me, but hopefully someone maybe able to help us out?

I have just bought a secondhand AKAI 3000XL Sampler and plan to trigger samples from my accoustic drumkit using either drum triggers or pads.

I also own some Roland V-Drums and to start with I am trying to trigger a sample from a pad.

I know this is basic stuff for a lot you but I can load the sample and the program in from the zip drive, I then use the keygroups to map the sample to a note which I then match up with the corresponding note on my pad using the drum brain but I don't get the sample sound when the pad is played????? The Midi lead is in place correctly and everything..........has anyone any ideas what it could be.

PS - When the pad is hit the light flashes on the sampler....maybe it's something to do with the drum brain????!!!

Anyone any ideas.......

Hi Warren

Ok, I don't know how much help I can be as I am not an Akai user (some of the other BB users should be able to help) but as a start I'll give you some suggestions for areas to look at.

Are the samples assigned to the same Midi channel as the incoming Midi notes?

Similarly, are the Midi notes being played matched to the notes or note ranges that the samples are assigned to?

Most samplers have a manual sample trigger (an audition button or similar) This will at least confirm that the outputs are set up correctly.

You can help narrow it down by assigning a sample across a range of notes and then hitting one of the drums. This should confirm that the channel assignment is correct. (try setting the drum midi controller to use channel 1, and assign the patch the sounds are assigned to to channel 1. Are you getting a sound (never mind the pitch for now). If yes, the channel assignment is working. By narrowing the range that the sample is assigned to you can sort out which note each drum is coming in on.

remember you will need to assign 3  main things for a sample. 1. What patch it is assigned to. 2. what root note the sample is assigned to (i.e. the pitch is the same as the sample). 3. what midi note will playback the sample.

At a patch level you will need to select a Midi channel to trigger the patch.

Hope this helps. If note, post back and I'll see if I can give any more advice.

Cheers

John

Warren

John's pretty much covered this but the fact that a wee light is coming on indicates that a midi signal is coming through. You could try connecting up a keyboard and seeing if that can trigger the sample, might help eliminate some of the possibilities.

Dave