Your Ad Could Be Here

Writing Music For Guitar

One of the many difficulties I've had with guitar is making the music feel original to me. Oh I'm sure the typical chord progressions were creative and origianl, but I want to write soemthing more complex. I'm not really sure how to go about doing that. Some of the issues I've had with this include:

I have trouble writing songs that don't repeat the same progression over and over.

If it doesn't sound familiar, I don't enjoy it.

Maybe I'm just not creative enough, or perhaps I'm being held captive by the limits of my instrument and my playing ability. Either way, does anyone have any tips on how to improve it?

hey Mark

I'm a big fan of varying my approach to songwriting. Playing another instrument is a good way of doing this. Even if you are doing it using a computer.

I'd also recommend trying writing the lyrics first, but the main one? Melody.

Write the melody without an instrument. Be prepared to change the melody if you have to as you add chords, but just going through the process of making a song sound good as a solo melody is very useful and can change the kind of material you produce entirely.

Hope this helps

Cheers

John

Try to record yourself at all times. Sometimes when you play it back, it sounds totally different! Melody is the key. If you have a strong melody, it matters not what the instrument underneath is. Every song I ever wrote always sounded like something else to me! :)

Try writing in different tunings. Also just experiment and be prepared to throw away a lot of your ideas.

"If a something is worth doing, it is worth doing poorly" - In other words, don't wait until you get a great idea, you might wait forever, start with any idea and keep trying, you will improve.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes they have been, particularly the one about writing the melody first. Thank you.

Though I have found that writing music just for guitar comes much easier than trying to integrate a vocal melody.

(sorry I've been out of town and haven't had a computer)

I have trouble writing songs that don't repeat the same progression over and over.

If it doesn't sound familiar, I don't enjoy it.

Everbody feels that way early on. It may take a long time to get over.

Try to concentrate & isolate the little things that you like. What is are your favourite parts of your favourite songs? It may be brief melodic phrase straddling two chords. Which chords are they? Whats their relationship to the melody? If you do this often, you will find these patterns re-occuring from time to time, even though the music may have a different feel. Once you understand how the things you enjoy work, you can make informed choices about how to employ them in your own music.

Sifting through music you like is like panning for gold. It takes time but its worth it.

• 1 month later...

Hey

One of the many benefits of writing the melody first is that the melody has to stand on it's own, without chords/accompanyment. This tends to create a stronger melody, and it provides a basis for the lyrical rhythm.

How are you getting with your writing?

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing you could do is become as educated as you can on what chords are in different keys, different styles of music, and different variations of the same chords. Try websites like "www.chordfind.com" to expand your education of the chords. Don't limit yourself to the usuals: G D A C, etc. etc. etc... Just mess with it and see how it sounds.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...