Your Ad Could Be Here

Dead Studio

Hey

I'm pissed off. >:(

I just powered up my Carillon (the hub of my studio). The CMOS battery has failed losing all the BIOS settings! Result: dead computer.

To fix this I'm gonna need a new motherboard, that fits my Carillon OK.

that means a new CPU and new RAM (my Carillon is 6 years old!)

It also means I am likely to need to upgrade to XP (from Win 98). I might as well if I have to do a complete system rebuild.

:(

John

Hey

I just powered up my Carillon (the hub of my studio). The CMOS battery has failed losing all the BIOS settings! Result: dead computer.

It also means I am likely to need to upgrade to XP (from Win 98). I might as well if I have to do a complete system rebuild.

John

Sounds like the curse of Y2K07

• 3 months later...
Hey

John

I get the same problem with my computer... Every so often, the CMOS fails and I have to re-establish the processor voltage and clock settings manually... There might be a workaround for your problem if you know your hardware details?

Guest voclizr

The first computer I bought in 1995 (Packard Bell) had the BIOS batt soldered into the mobo. Possible to have replaced, but not advisable to fix yourself, unless you were well versed on fixing things electronic.

:) John B.

• 11 months later...

These days, the CMOS battery is a little clip-in thing. Easy to replace. Back in the good old days, it was a sticky soldering job.

Haven't had to replace the CMOS battery on "Alice," my current computer (she's only 3 years old), but it'll come. Those batteries are only good for about 6 years, and if you bought your computer off the shelf, you have no idea how old the battery was when you got it. (I have my computers built for me. Don't got that problem.)

"Wilma," however, my old 486 (vintage 1991, and I got her in 1993) has had her battery replaced three times. She still runs--built like a tank, she is. And running Windows 95 is like skinny-dipping in the past.

I did upgrade Alice's operating system from Win98SE to WinXP this year, and it wasn't bad. Did it after I found out how to make WinXP run Win98 programs (I have some expensive graphic-design software I have no intention of upgrading). I was having problems finding Win98 software for music. There's lots of that stuff for WinXP.

Joe