Your Ad Could Be Here

Vocal Recording And Production

Hey

Getting a good vocal sound is one of the more challenging aspects of recording. So, with that in mind I thought we could discuss getting specific vocal sounds. From microphones types and placement, pop screens, compression, delay, reverb and effects, to EQ, double tracking and composite tracks. If you can point to a track that has a vocal you're discussing that would be great. maybe we can also look at problem tracks and discuss purely how we could improve the vocal sound?

Do you have a standard way to approach vocals?

One aspect that is seldom discussed how to get a good performance from vocalists other than yourself. Can you help by different recording set ups and foldback (monitoring) to the singer? how do you cope with singers with poor microphone technique and poor dynamic control?

Cheers

John

I'll leave the technicals to you all, but if I was recording a singer, I'd try tomake them confortable - whatever that meant to them. Maybe suggest turning lights down, or ask them to bring an picture or whatever, if they had something they liked to focus on while singing.

one tip i would give for recording singers..... get them to sing using headphones but only on one side. Its gives a singer much more control of their voice to hear it seperate from the mix.

I only ever use a small amount of compression whilst recording as you cant take this out afterwards. As long as you can get a good take that doesn't clip plug in compressers afterwards can sort out the levels.

Also in sonar you can take multiple takes within a single track. This is how we get the best takes we can. We often run over the same part again and again.... without deleting the other takes..... You can then compare and get a good idea if you can do it better.

I would suggest the Phil Spector approach to vocal performance, involving a motivational chat with the singer while pointing a loaded revolver at them...

Failing that, if you live in a country like I do with harsh gun laws, a baseball bat and a "semi-greety" hysterical fit usually suffices...

Edited by Prometheus

• 1 month later...

i record my vocals dry, or maybe with a touch of reverb. if i do to much on the front end i'll never be able to do my best (in tune) performance. head phones on one side works very well sometimes. If a singer is having problems getting it right, try turning down unnessisary tracks in the mix.

-joel

• 2 months later...

Ooo, I like the idea of recording vocal with just one side of the headphones on. I'll have to try that.

I think I get my best sound when I'm recording if can make it feel as much as possible like a live performance. I've been recording the guitar that way for a while, and I like the results. "That way" consists of presetting the levels (I know exactly what "effects" settings on the li'l Tascam will make my acoustic guitar sound like an acoustic guitar), plugging the guitar in (using the soundhole pickup instead of miking it, in other words), and *not using headphones at all*. I'll just play the guitar *and* sing, just as if I were doing the song live, and the Tascam will pick up only the sound of the guitar. Then I add the vocal and lead on separate tracks.

It'd be nice to get a "live feel" with the vocals, too, but I have to hear the guitar part through headphones because that's the only place it is (and of course, that means I'll be hearing my voice through the headphones, too). Half-a-headphones just might be the answer. I'll try that. Thanks.

Joe

I would suggest the Phil Spector approach to vocal performance, involving a motivational chat with the singer while pointing a loaded revolver at them...

Failing that, if you live in a country like I do with harsh gun laws, a baseball bat and a "semi-greety" hysterical fit usually suffices...

:thumb23: