Your Ad Could Be Here

n00b in need of help!!

• Noob

H!

Im starting the world of electric music so im not music literate but quite computer literate.  i want to create nice tracks like "the chemical brothers, similar sounding to music: response and surrender tracks".  unfortunately im a student and i dont have a penny to my name.  All i own as for instruments and equipment is a casiotone NT-240 and a 2ghz AMD athlon pc.  I can however get hold of various software titles (like reason, sonar 3, FL4) but i cant really use them that well.  I want to create the electronic sounding sounds like the "blips" (now can u tell im not music literate).  i need to create those small sounds but i dont know how, i would then like to add them into a "playlist" easily and play it basically.

ive downloaded FP4 but have difficulty using it and Reason all i can do is the redrum...which seems pants and a long way off.  Can anyone help me on software titles that are easy to work and create good sounds. like i said i really cant afford any hardware based equipment. i think its the case of driving me in the right direction

thanks

PM5K

Hi

Welcome to Songstuff!

Ok, to have a PC based music system you'll need, or I would recommend:

As powerful a PC as you can get with as much RAM as possible.

A sequencer prog (Sonar, Cubase etc.)

An audio sequencer (Sonar, Cubase etc.)

A software sampler prog (there are lots)

Software synthesiser progs (plugins for Sonar, Cubase, often called VST instruments, also stand alone progs like re-birth)

An audio editing prog (Wavelab, Soundforge etc.)

As good a soundcard as you can get. As you are starting out I would recommend an industry standard card, like Sound Blaster Live! or one of the newer Soundblaster cards. With this you get access to Vienna Sound Studio, a software sampler...:)

I hope this helps.

I'll drop back and give some advice on creating sounds, and using the progs, but I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice from the others here...

Cheers

John

Hi PM5K

Welcome to songstuff. I don't really understand what you are trying to do here. If you are UK based, and you want some good software for free? you could buy yourself a copy of Computer Music They give away a complete studio with every issue. It contains software plugins including a sampler, which would give you all the blips, beeps and burps you could ever want! It will also have some free samples as well.

• Noob

software for free?? i mean uhh "backups" of software for friends.  

my soundcard is kinda crap, but i do have 512MB ram and my CPU usage is low as possible.  thanks for the software titles, ill get hold of them and have a mess about with them