Your Ad Could Be Here

Questions about the music biz?

Hello folks... I'm your friendly and capable moderator Mb.. I've been in the music business for over 25 years... I've worked as a performer, promoter, agent, manager, producer.... you get the picture.. my true forte is marketing and image management... I'm also an accreditted journalist and publisher.. all that said, i have  a wealth of background to share with you good folks of songstuff...

so let them fly... as away, i won't give you a throw off answer.... try me

Mb

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

Good basic question. In spirit , it is knowing what the act and the public are all about... what's hot with the buyer and what's hip aout the artist. That said, everyone should have the basic elements of a package ie. demo, good pic, bio and website... a video also helps. Of course none of this is worth spit if they don't have alnt or a tune.

hey mad, sure ... a bio has to bee short and sweet... as a journaist, i'm bombarded by info on bands and i rarely get time to read any of it...a bio is for basically two things.. getting press and getting a gig.. the promoter just wants to know hgow many rooms you've sold out and the media.. well, remember the more you give them the better the chance they'll get it wrong... hope that helps

Mb

Hey Mb

Thanks for your reply!

So what if you are  mainly a recording artist promoting yourself on the web? Is the music industry/press interested enough in it yet to use it in a biog? It's been a while since I did anything live but I do lots of recording.

Thankx

MAD

hey Mad... i'm actually in the same boat... i came off the road in the late 90's to concentrate on promoting online... i find it easy to get articles on online stories... of course it depends what media you're pitching... if it's local, you're show in... just find different angles to use... i've hit the entertainment editor, business, and computer tech.... there's a story there for all of them... find something that makes the story write itself... i've used the selling angle, the making music with people from other countries online angle, the live online concert angle... remembermany people are still quite niave as to what the internet can do... when approaching media, don't pitch your band, pitch the story...