Your Ad Could Be Here

Mixed artist promos

Mb

I have been approached by a manager who is telling me that getting one or two of tracks on a demo cd featuring all the artists he represents is the way to go. I've always thought these sort of promos were a bit pants. Am I wrong? Is the guys advice good?

It just sounds like a way to get money out me...

::)

TheOne

• 2 weeks later...

well, they can be a double edged sword...

pros... it gets you out there into different people's hands for a fraction of the price (i assume) .... depending upon its distribution of course as well.... how is it being distributed and to whom?

cons... if the cds sit in the trunk of their car for a year, well that can be a problem... check out the company's track record... the other obvious "con" can be the other artists on the cd... if it's less than "professional" no one will listen to it... if it's really good and your track pales in comparison, then you go unnoticed....

i've created compilation CDs as well, charging each band a 200$ or so to offset costs and of course make money (that's biz)... i'd mail 200 away and give the bands 100 each so they could sell them to recoup their money and also have some for promo.. is a win win senerio

does this manager want to represent you? or is he just puting a cd together?... often people call themselves managers, but they're not really... promoters are more likely what this guy is... my advice about management is, until you read need one, it's best to do it yourself... i always suggest an artist get into the trenches and see what the business world is up against... remember Mick Jagger manages the stones to this day...

now an agent... that's a diferent story,... get as many of those as you can... never sign an exclusive unless they are the biggest agency around... ie. william morris, or feldman & associates or the agency group.... there are very few good agencies...

hope all that helps...

Hi Mb

Thanks for your reply! :) You make some good points I hadn't thought of.

As far as getting agents goes, what do I do? Just send a demo and letter or should I wait for them to come to me? What sort of benefit is an agent? Is it purely live bookings and stuff like that?

TheOne

agents... well what can be said about them without having your mouth washed out with soap! lol

an agent is someone who will get you work.. they traditionally want 10-15%, any more and they'd better be investing... they are the go between promoters and the band...

if you play live, they are invaluable... many of the top clubs book only through an agent as they don't want to deal with bands... they are responsible for negotiating the price and sealing the deal by contract... and then submitting it to the union (if it's a union gig)

they may also take care of traveling or accomodations.. they can at times deal production, but that's rare unless they have a side deal going.. they are basically sales people.. they pitch promoters entertainment and tell them how much money your act can generate... they aren't usually music people

agents also can be the exclusive bookers for certain rooms.. they often have a "stable" of venues that they'll put their bands through and without their support some rooms are off limits...

in the beginning, go after an agent... show them the promo kit and if you can get letters from venues you've worked this goes a long way.. they also need real promo... this is something most bands neglect.. the black and white photo copy doesn't do it... there's an old saying in the biz... you'll make twice as much money for the same gig if you're promo is in colour...

so hand them the tools...