Your Ad Could Be Here

Recorded Volume

I am having trouble with the volume on bassline tracks I have recorded using Cubase VST24.

The volume is fine at some points but drops down at other points in the track, I have tried new strings and the like but nothing seems to work.

Please help.

• 2 months later...
Guest ArtBrut

I see your post is a bit old now Tony, but  in case

you're calling back -

The simplest way to bring volume levels up is to 'normalize' or 'compress' your wave in an editor.  Most wave editors will

have these functions and it's simple to get the hang of.

If you use the compression method check the bass in a converted 24kbs mp3 if you're uploading to mp3.com -

often the mp3.com conversion of your 128kbs wave to 24kbs sees the bass disappear.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welll  you probably have figured it all out by now..... BUT

the FIRST thing I would do would be to check out the velocity-levels in those bass-tracks.

If THEY are OK, meaning even values somewhere between 95 - 115.... the next thing would be to add some serious compression, but before doing that, another good idea would be to check the other tracks to see if there are unnecessary velocity (volume) peaks fukking up the overall balance.

All these comps, limiters and s*** like that should not be used, unless absolutely necessary, because they allways eat away the normal "headroom" in a music recording, that is supposed to have some kind of natural dynamics.... so unless You want Your recordings to sound like shitty FM-radio.... well, better just watch out for those dynamics!

LOTS OF LUCK!

And..... bye!

H.H.  ;)

No disrespect KJ but the original post mentioned trying new strings so my presumption is that it was the recording of a bass guitar and not a midi instrument.

I would have said that it was fairly standard procedure to use some compression on bass guitar recording. Use a plugin from VST24.