Your Ad Could Be Here

Just can't seem to get it right!

Hi Gang,

This has been an ongoing problem for me for the past several years, but now it's important.

I use the Roland 1680, and I know it has the tools I need, but my finished product always seems to lack overall volumn, and they just don't have the clarity of my "majors" collection. They just don't seem alive, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I and a friend of mine are working on a project and to date we have 5 songs finished. Up until today, I had listened over and over to these tunes at home and thought they were ok. The last few days I have been playing them in my trucks stereo system, and I notice the difference quite a bit!

What I am thinking of doing is taking the CD's that have the tracks in stereo form, recording them back into my 1680, and working with some of the mastering programs that it has. I think I can improve them but I'm not sure.

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has some basic suggestions for me.

I am to the point where I would even consider sending a CD with these 5 songs on them to anyone who would take a listen to them and provide an opinion. (None of these songs are available anywhere)

I realize some track levels and or track mixing could have been done slightly better, but that's not what I'm worried about. I only want to figure out the songs overall clarity and volumn problems.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Tom ;D

Hey Tom

Do you perform a spectral analysis on the finished track before applying final mix compression? Basically, apart from carefully applying any compression to individual tracks the mix can cause spikes at particular frequencies. You need to identify these peaks (Use Wavelab or similar).

Before you get to this stage you should plan your mix and apply EQ so that instruments fit into a known frequency range. This way you can manage the mix better and reduce the amount of unforeseen peaks. Overall this means that the instruments in the mix will have better clarity and separation, without necessarily boosting their overall volume. there's an article in the features section on EQ, and compression and an EQ reference giving some suggestions on different instruments and frequency ranges.

Hope this helps, or at least starts you off...

Cheers

John

• 3 months later...
Hi Gang,

This has been an ongoing problem for me for the past several years, but now it's important.

I use the Roland 1680, and I know it has the tools I need, but my finished product always seems to lack overall volumn, and they just don't have the clarity of my "majors" collection. They just don't seem alive, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I and a friend of mine are working on a project and to date we have 5 songs finished. Up until today, I had listened over and over to these tunes at home and thought they were ok. The last few days I have been playing them in my trucks stereo system, and I notice the difference quite a bit!

What I am thinking of doing is taking the CD's that have the tracks in stereo form, recording them back into my 1680, and working with some of the mastering programs that it has. I think I can improve them but I'm not sure.

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has some basic suggestions for me.

I am to the point where I would even consider sending a CD with these 5 songs on them to anyone who would take a listen to them and provide an opinion. (None of these songs are available anywhere)

I realize some track levels and or track mixing could have been done slightly better, but that's not what I'm worried about. I only want to figure out the songs overall clarity and volumn problems.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Tom ;D

Hi, Tom!

THAT sounds like a job for Steinberg's WAVELAB 4, which has some exellent tools for expanding the stereo-image, controlling overall dynamics, EQ, enhancing overall clarity, master compression.... etc.  

Could be the perfect situation  for trying it out! (Maybe...)

Anyway, it's a good tool..... don't leave your home/studio without it!

Bye!

H.H.   8)