Your Ad Could Be Here

Fruity loops help

• Noob

Ive just started using fruity loops and ive been trying to get my Casio midi keyboard connected so i can record on to PC. ive got a soundcard with a game port and a MIDI to game port Cable but i dont understand any of the settings stuff. i tried using the help thing and just got more confused. and to make things worse. i lost the manual for my Keyboard!

can any one please help.

Hi Mestafool, welcome to songstuff.

I'm not familiar with FL but there are a few basic principles to check before trashing the lot...  ;)

1/ are the midi leads in the right way around?

2/ in the program itself there should be some sort of preferences or setup or options, usualy on a pull down menu. Make sure you have your midi device (Keyboard) selected as an input device. You can usualy set the output to the keyboard or your soundcard.

3/ Make certain that FL actualy accepts an input device such as a keyboard.

Hope this helps! If not get back here. There are more knowledgable people than me around.

Good luck.

Hi Mestafool

Welcome to Songstuff! I'm not sure if I understand what the problem is, but what Steve says is pretty accurate.

You need to connect the Midi out of your Casio to the Midi In of your computer, and the Midi In form your Casio to the Midi Out of your computer. In Fruity Loops, make sure that your soundcard external Midi port is selected as the midi device.

You need to make sure that your Casio is using the same Midi channel as Fruity Loops as the global Midi channel (usually channel 1)

To ensure that your Casio is transmitting you can test it either using a Midi monitor program on your PC or, turn local off on the Casio (this stops the Midi signal information from the keyboard from going directly to the Casio sound generators) and then connect the Midi Out from the Casio to the Midi In on the Casio. When you press a key you should still get sound. You can test your PC Midi Out by playing an existing Midi file to be transmitted on your Soundcard external Midi port.

If this doesn't help, post back and I'll see if I can help.

Cheers

John