Your Ad Could Be Here

New to Recording?

Don't know where to start? If you have a computer with a sound card you already have a recording device. A soundcard has an input for a microphone on it and a computer mic will work to get your point across. Step one for someone on a budget would be to record a few things just to get used to the idea. There is a program called "sound recorder" in the accessories folder. Plug the mic in the sound card, hit the record button and go. I know people who record ideas like this. Just set the mic up sit in front with an acoustic guitar, hit the button and play and sing. I strongly advise upgrading the mic ASAP. With the right combination of wires you can use the mic input as an input for another device, like a tape recorder or mini-disc. I can feel the cringing that will occur to most at reading this. This will render very crude recordings. With a $100 stereo mini-disc recorder and a $100 stereo mic I have recorded Live recordings of my band good enough to upload to my computer using "Sound Forge", or similar software, convert to MP3 and upload to the web. This will get the basic melody across and allow you to save your ideas.

The first question you need to ask yourself is "what is the end result that I am trying to accomplish?" If you eventually want to get serious, good quality recordings, this method will not do. The next question is hardware or software. Software does a really good job of imitating hardware {buttons and such look alot like on the recorders}. Software and upgraded sound cards can be expensive, but in my opinion, and this is only my opinion, is much more expandable and are worth the money if you have it and are the way to go if you someday want to be able to do quality recording. I paid $800 for my digi-design/Pro-tools rig and will never reach the limit of expandability.

Too rich for you right now? Stand alone 8track digital recorders are all lots of folks ever need and I have heard quality work composed on them. They start around $300 and can plug into your existing sound card or can burn straight to disc. The disadvantage is that 8 tracks will be all you ever get unless you are really savvy and inventive. If that is enough, maybe that is the way to go.

Just my take on several ways to get started. I could be wrong and welcome other ideas & opposing views.

Peace,

John Nightwolf

Nightwolf, you're pointing to the right path.

If someone is brand-new to recording, it's good for them to get their feet wet before investing big bucks in an expensive setup.

I've had scads of people come into the studio carrying thier owners manuals to whatever recording device they just bought, asking how the hell to get started. It's better to build up to bigger and better things, and it makes the learning curve much easier to handle.

My advice to anyone looking to get serious about recording is to read EVERYTHING they can get their hands on. There are several magazines that are worth subscribing to. Partial list:

Home Recording

Recording Magazine

Mix

EQ

There are several more, but these will provide a fine foundation. A small investment on educating yourself will provide you with tools that you can't go out and buy.

You can spend $100,000 on the newest practical gear for a small studio, and if you don't know how to use it, your recordings will still sound like crap. An engineer who knows what he's doing can make good-sounding recordings with minimal equipment, so when they have a large collection of great equipment it just allows them to work faster and more smoothly, and lets them work without limitations.

I had a client come to my studio and record a full album.

After the third song was mixed and mastered, he brought in a CD with 3 songs he had recorded at another studio. That studio was a million-dollar studio with every piece of state-of-the-art equipment available.

The client said to me,

"Our manager was able to get us a special rate at this studio. We paid more to record these 3 songs than you are charging us for the whole album."

I put the CD in and listened. I couldn't believe the poor quality of the recording. It was noisy, over-compressed, the high frequencies were harsh and grating, the bass was way too loud and eating up precious headroom - the whole thing was a mess.

The client asked me, "Can you fix it so it sounds as good as the songs we did here?"

I started laughing, and so did he.

I told him that I would re-record those three songs for him for no more money than our original deal.

By doing that, I got a customer for life, and he has since referred many new clients to me, and I've more than made up what I could have charged for those 3 songs.

But to tell you the truth, I think the most valuable thing I got out of it was the satisfaction of knowing that I did a better job than a million-dollar studio.

Invest in knowledge before throwing money away on equipment that promises to make your songs sound "professional.