Your Ad Could Be Here

Recording Levels

Folks

I am still a novice when it comes to home recording. I use Cakewalk Guitar Tracks 2 which looks like an 8 track mixing desk on the PC screen.

My question is, [glow=red,2,300]what is the optimum range for the master volume recording level?[/glow] The middle of the range on Cakewalk is 0db, the extremes +30 and -30. I have tended to record at around +7db (obviously individual tracks can be varied) but recently recorded Closure at around 3db - result = better feedback on recording quality. I also only used two tracks for this which probably helped - but do any of you experts have any thoughts and advice on this for me?

Alistair[glow=red,2,300][/glow]

This is tricky one and depends upon your approach. My guess is that the master fader should be kept at 0db and the mix should be made relative to this remembering you are trying to mix the peak level (loudest part of the track(s) as high as possible without clipping. Many then start recording individual tracks at about -5db, these combining to increase the overall level.

Would be interested to hear other views! :o

I always record at 0db. But it's the input levels that are the crucial thing!

Trying to record without clipping is sometimes a pain in the ass!

It's always a case of trial and error as far as I can see. If you have your gear set to record a nice easy ballad and you then try a rockin roller at the same settings! Then you may have some issues to solve. I always do a test record to see where the the clip points occur and try to adjust my playing, singing or input levels as I see fit.

• 4 months later...
My Christmas song is my first recording since this advice. I recorded at 0db on the master volume and the quality is good. But I'm going to do the final mix at 2-3db because it's a bit quiet.

Here's hoping!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Basically, you should strive to get all your peaks as close to 0db as possible, but not over. I strongly recommend using a compressor/limiter on recording to achieve this. I believe the usage of compressors is explained elsewhere on this web.

not sure if this will help you but it you post this quetsion here you will get a great fully explained answer....

ok dont be annoyed by this but seeing as you are cakewalk user goto......(another forum)

www.cakewalk.com/forum there is loads of places here depending on what software you use....this is more of a technical site.

hope it helps.... i couldn't live without it as i use sonar and it can be a pain in the ass!!!