Your Ad Could Be Here

SoundBlaster Line In - configuration

disclaimer: i'm an experienced amateur sound-engineer, who has worked w/ pro gear, so no need to tell me what i already know about the limitations of a card like soundblaster.  ;)

i'm trying to do some recording here at home using Sonic Foundry's Acid, but i can't seem to get the stereo signal from my POD to come across properly through the SoundBlaster. I did everything i could think of to get it to work right, but i'm only getting the left channel. I'm pretty sure i experienced the identical problem before on another PC, and it was solved by resetting the factory default BIOS on startup, but that didn't solve my problem this time. i've tried uninstalling the integrated sound, and that didn't work either. i'm pretty sure i have everything configured properly, but sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees.

any suggestsions? does this post make any sense.. if not i'll try to clarify.

Hi

I'll assume you are recording through analogue inputs. Have you ruled out the simple things? i.e. the mini jack is inserted properl and the 'y' lead works correctly (swap it with the input 'y' lead). In the Soundblaster mixer is the panning set in the mddle?

Which Soundblaster are you using? If it is a 64 gold with the IO board, have you checked that the daughter board is correctly connected?

Have you tried recording to another application?

Cheers

John

the mini jack (1/4" left & right out of POD to stereo 1/8" in to PC) is in properly as far as i can tell.

what exactly to you mean by swap w/ input Y lead?

in any event, when the line in is not muted, i only get the left channel live monitor, so the recording app would be irrelevant, right?

for the panning, i should open creative mixer> recording control, and check the line in, right? looks fine to me.

Hi

Sorry, I meant the output 'y' lead. If I remember correctly the    input and output are both 1/8" stereo splitter leads. To elimate the lead, swap the input and output splitters and monitor the signals in the app. Also elimate the individual leads coming from the POD by swapping the channels over.

On the PC end, make sure the card mount isn't stopping the jack sliding fully home.

You don't say where you are visually checking the signal in the PC.

Have you made sure that the POD isn't outputing a mono sum on the left channel?

Cheers

John

john,

the 'y' lead... are you talking about something on the POD, or on the Soundblaster?

POD - 1/4" analog

SoundBlaster 16 - four 1/8" jacks as follows:

Line in

Mic in

Line out

Speaker out

i'm confused about what you mean by eliminating the individual leads from POD

I can visually monitor the input signal in Vegas

Ok, maybe it's my memory, but are the inputs/outputs not all stereo jacks (except the mic)?

Each stereo jack splits into two mono leads (one for each channel). Am I wrong?

For each output channel on the POD a mono lead is connected to one of the two line in connectors on the stereo  jack plugged into the soundcard? So I'm trying to eliminate a faulty lead, or connector.

By swapping the leads about a bit you should be able to elimate a dodgy stereo jack, dodgy mono leads and work out if the POD is only outputing on one channel.

Cheers

John

John,

Gotcha!

yes, the soundblaster has stereo in/outs as you desrcibed, and mono for the mic.

i am accessing the mono lines of tip and ring in the SoundBlaster 1/8'' line in via a y adapter, as i see you've been describing all along (i thought you meant part of the card itself... my 'y' adaptor i bought seperate from SB at an electronics store)

i'll try some different configurations, but i have actually sort of already gone this route by replacing the connecting cable itself, a single left/right cable, male both ends leading from POD to the aforementioned 'y' adaptor at the soundcard end.

from the POD end with the new cable, i have tried inverting left and right POD sends to test if the visually monitored Vegas input signal would then invert accordingly. the monitored input signal, once i plugged everything back in after the cable inversion, remained the same... left only.

perhaps it IS an issue w/ the 1/8'' into the soundcard not seating completely. what should i look for here?

thanks for your help so far!

Ok, sounds like the POD outputs and mono cables are ok.

To eliminate the y-connector you are using as the input, use the jack you are using on the speaker output to replace the current input jack. Now check the signal visually.

If that still shows the left channel only. Eliminate the actual connection. Make sure the case/card mount isn't stopping the jack from sliding home.

Still not working? Try slowly, lightly, moving the jack up/down side to side and in and out. Does the signal appear on the right while you are doing this?

Have you tried directly monitoring the input on the outputs without going through anything but the soundblaster app?

Is the app itself configured for a stereo in?

I can't remeber the SB16 control panel too well. Can you turn down the gain or mute individual inputs? Can they be configured as monos?

Cheers

John

this old Frankenstein clunker is...

IBM PC 300PL

P3 450 w/ 192Meg RAM

Win XP Pro

after reading steve's post, maybe i'll try going back to the integrated Crystal WDM Audio and see what happens

i just remembered why i tried the SB in the first place... trying to elimante some of the latency, which i think i have effectively achieved w/ the SB, but disappointing due to the SB problem that we're discussing here.

• 3 months later...
  • Noob
the mini jack (1/4" left & right out of POD to stereo 1/8" in to PC) is in properly as far as i can tell.

what exactly to you mean by swap w/ input Y lead?

in any event, when the line in is not muted, i only get the left channel live monitor, so the recording app would be irrelevant, right?

for the panning, i should open creative mixer> recording control, and check the line in, right? looks fine to me.

My guess is your y lead is not stereo or for some reason not working stereo.  Make sure that there is 3 rings on the stereo end.