Your Ad Could Be Here

New to (serious) recording..

Hey hey.. I'm new to the technical side of music... And I want to record my singing/guitar/piano to the computer, just I'm not completely sure how. I've been reading up and it seems that the Shure SM58 seems like a good mic for singing. And according to someone on another forum this is a pretty good condenser mic, which would be better for the guitar/piano? He also said I'd need a mixer, a program like Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 and an Audigy Platinum sound card.. heh... Well it's all pretty expensive (probably not to the really expert stuff, but still), but it'll be worth it cause I'm really serious about my music.. So yea... So I guess I'm just asking you guys if this ^^^^^ is all correct then? And if I'd need other stuff like cords or converters or something? And if you could maybe reccomend a mic/mixer? (and a mic stand actually!) Aaaaand.. finally where I'd get all of that stuff.. Cuz I live in a small town so no fancy music equipment stores here.. and Musician's Friend doesn't ship to The Netherlands, only US/Canada...

Anyway, thanks for the help! ;D

Btw, I did do some recording with some cheap mic before, but it has tons of noise and stuff, and deforms a bit (no it's not just in my head! ;D) so yea, I just wanted to get some good recordings now.. :o

Sal

There are certainly some guys on this board who will give you good advice - you shouldn't have to wait too long.

But in the meantime there was a thread posted by phantomengineer on this very board I think which went over some of the same ground. Have a look at that to start with.  :)

Sal

There are certainly some guys on this board who will give you good advice - you shouldn't have to wait too long.

But in the meantime there was a thread posted by phantomengineer on this very board I think which went over some of the same ground. Have a look at that to start with.  :)

Yea.. I guess.. That's about a really basic recording tho.. I done that before. .I just want one that's not total crap with the noise and pops and stuff.. And doesn't really answer any of my questions.. Thanks tho!

:)

Sal

I can't help you on recommending equipment but I can recommend Cakewalk Guitar Tracks software for recording - you could probably download it off their site. It's not free but it would save you hunting high and low.

If you can plug your piano in it works for that too.

I use a good mic (Sennheiser), a mic stand (anything that works - mine cost about 35 euros), a lead and my laptop computer which has a VIA soundcard which is adequate. This is a very simple set up and gives reasonable quality. Go to my website listed below (ic-musicmedia) and you'll get a taster.

Hope this is more helpful

Alistair

Hel Sal

Welcome to Songstuff and sorry to to reply sooner.

Ok an SM58 is a versatile microphone, and useful for live vocals, but for recording consider something like the Rode NT2 or a similar microphone. It's a bit more expensive than the shure, but it's a reasonable studio microphone.

Get a boom mic stand for studio versatility.

Depending on your microphone you might need to get a mixer with a 48v phantom power supply (it provides power to microphones). This would be good idea anyway to allow that possibility in the future. For a budget mixer look at either Behringer or the Soundcraft Spirit range.

For a sequencer package I'm confirmed Cakewalk user, but I have used Cubase before. To be honest either package is pretty good. I currently use Cakewalk Sonar.

For a sound card, there are a many good ones. The main thing that would affect any recommendation is your budget. Can you give a ball park figure?

A list of instruments, skills and existing equipment would really help too.

I hope this helps!

Cheers

John

So the Rode NT2 is better than the Shure for recording then?  And if I got that would I need a mixer? And I was wondering, would I need another mic for the instrument? (Piano/Guitar) or would one suffice really? Umm.. About the budget, like.. The stuff I said in my first post would cost like.. $500, If I remember correctly, and I was okay with that, I mean, it's lotsa money (I think it is anyway :-/) but it'd be worth it! :) So something around that would be best I guess :)

And I really don't know where I could buy all this stuff either, from what I know there's no music equipment store anywhere nearby, and buying it online would be handier anyway cause at least I could get exactly what I want instead of what they have, but I wouldn't know where online I can buy it... :(

So the Rode NT2 is better than the Shure for recording then?  And if I got that would I need a mixer? And I was wondering, would I need another mic for the instrument? (Piano/Guitar) or would one suffice really? Umm.. About the budget, like.. The stuff I said in my first post would cost like.. $500, If I remember correctly, and I was okay with that, I mean, it's lotsa money (I think it is anyway :-/) but it'd be worth it! :) So something around that would be best I guess :)

And I really don't know where I could buy all this stuff either, from what I know there's no music equipment store anywhere nearby, and buying it online would be handier anyway cause at least I could get exactly what I want instead of what they have, but I wouldn't know where online I can buy it... :(

Hey, Sal...

You could try doing some on-line research or asking some bozo in a forum such as Songstuff....oh, hang on... you've already tried that....

• 2 weeks later...

Sal

I hate to tell you this, but it is very likely that it will cost more than $500 for all the gear. :(

To keep the budget to a minimum an SM58 will get you started, as will a 4/6 channel mixer. You should be able to pick up a second hand Soundblaster AWE 32, and you should be able to get an entry level sequencer from either Steinberg or Cakewalk.

This should provide all you need to get started recording onto a PC and give you the opportunity to learn all about PCs and Music. You have to start somewhere!

Do you have a keyboard, or an acoustic piano?

Cheers

John

Hi Sal,

How's this?

Mixer: BEHRINGER UB1202

To cut costs (and if you're recording only one instrument at a time), you could pick a UB802 instead of the 1202.

There's a review in the Gear review forum.

If you are to record instruments as well as voice, I would recommand a Shure SM57 instead. It's on par with the 58 for voice (a matter of taste), and it's better (in my opinion) for instruments. Price should be more or less the same.

Didier

How's this?

Mixer: BEHRINGER UB1202

Mic: Shure SM58

Soundcard: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

Would that be enough to get me started?

Also, I'm not sure which program to get... Steinberg seems the best? What would you recommend?

The list looks pretty good Sal! Didiers right about the mixer, The ub802 is a very good buy!and may save a few euros. I own one myself and am very pleased with it. As for a sequencer? A good budget sequencer with tons of features would be steinbergs Cubasis Or Cakewalks Home Studio Or Magix Music Maker. All these programs would be  more than sufficient to get you on the road to stardom!...  ;) Make sure you come back and get your music reviewed here in SongReviewStuff

And GOOD LUCK!!!

If you are to record instruments as well as voice, I would recommand a Shure SM57 instead. It's on par with the 58 for voice (a matter of taste), and it's better (in my opinion) for instruments. Price should be more or less the same.

Well I read that the 58 is slightly better than the 57 for vocals, so I think I'm gonna go with the 58. Thanks for all the help though! ;D

Just one more question, do they come with cables and stuff or will I have to get those too?

Just one more question, do they come with cables and stuff or will I have to get those too?

I believe when they are listed, those that come with a cable have a "c" next to the name. 58c or 57c.

I'd like to make one comment if I may. The 58 will be slightly warmer with vocals (very slightly), but the 57 at $20 less will be close, and as Didier said, be better for instrument recording. One more thing to know, if you ever do buy Mic modling software or hardware, most of those are designed to be used with a 57 or something comparable.

Just my 2 cents worth. :)

I cannot be sure for the "package" you'll got. My SM 57 came with the clip (mike stand adapter), but no cable, which is usual for "quality" mikes.

Didier

It may be alot to ask, but the site I'd be using is http://www.inta-audio.com/, could you maybe check it out to see? It doesn't say it's cable included so I should assume it's not? On the audio accessories page (here) it lists a couple of cables... which one would I need if it's not included? Sorry for all my newbieness  :-[

It may be alot to ask, but the site I'd be using is http://www.inta-audio.com/, could you maybe check it out to see? It doesn't say it's cable included so I should assume it's not? On the audio accessories page (here) it lists a couple of cables... which one would I need if it's not included? Sorry for all my newbieness  :-[

The lead you need is at the bottom of (this page) It's an XLR to XLR cable. I don't believe these mics come with cables, but if they do, they will not be XLR.

Okay, I think I finally got it all now then! ;D *hopes*

SHURE SM58

XLR TO XLR MIC CABLE

BEHRINGER UB802

SOUNDBLASTER AUDIGY 2 ZS PLATINUM

+A sequencer, not decided yet

Would that be all I need? :)

Sorry for being such a newbie and having to ask about every tiny thing :-[